Fleeting

You blink then nod, slipping your hand into Jenny's while Missy winks and takes a step back. She pulls you onto the dance floor where she begins to spin you gently, hand on your waist with your arms around her neck. You blush and stumble, too mesmerised by her beauty to pay attention. She keeps in calm control as you gaze around, finally spotting The Doctor and Yaz dancing out on your far left, both grinning stupidly but looking very happy.

"You did a good thing" says Jenny and you look back at her.

"Well they needed it, they can't go on like this" you reply and she looks away.

"Jenny?"

"Yes love?"

"They will be alright... the child too? You saw what happened when..." she tenses and you wish you hadn't said anything. She sighs and frees a hand, lightly stroking the thin scar from your cheek to your mouth and out the other side.

"It's not them I'm worried about" she replies quietly and you look down.

"You still blame yourself? Jenny this isn't about me, I'm fine. I just need to know that the baby will be too, that it will have a good life with us"

Jenny looks back at you and her face softens.

"My love, It's always about you."

You dance with Missy next who is quiet as you mull over your earlier conversation.

"What is it angel?"

You shake your head and she doesn't press it as you bury your head in her shoulder, her arm stroking your hair as you spin slowly on the spot. Eventually you pull back and smile, putting it behind you as she speaks.

"You're going to make an excellent Auntie you know"

So she did know vaguely what was going on, maybe you had transferred an image while you were close. You grin as you remember your conversation a while back with Yaz.

"Actually Yaz told me to make sure you don't teach him anything, she's worried you're going to turn him into some sort of alien hunting assassin"

"And that would be a bad thing why...?"

You giggle and continue to dance, switching to dance with The Doctor as some point, Jenny and Yaz laughing as they try to coordinate.

"Thanks you for this (Y/n), and I'm sorry I got angry earlier" she apologises and you look up at her with a calm smile.

"You're welcome, honestly it doesn't matter, I'm guessing you've got quite a lot on in that impossible mind of yours."

"It's stilll no excuse to talk to you like that. Anyway, I'm grateful you made Yaz happy"

You both look over to see Yaz and Jenny snorting as they try to dance seriously. You both grin at your girlfriends fondly. Your smile recedes as Yaz breathes heavily and Jenny takes her to sit down. You feel the Doctor tense but you know the human is just a little tired.

"She's fine" you say but The Doctor is already leading you over.

"Babe? What's wrong?" She asks in concern, kneeling down next to the chair.

"Little boy is kicking me half to death" she jokes and Jenny smiles, rubbing her back.

"Maybe you ought to go to bed" suggests Jenny and Yaz goes to protest when Missy walks nonchalantly over.

"Actually we should go" she says pleasanlty. You can't work out her tone but The Doctor is already pulling the human to her feet and directing her back to The Tardis.

"Everything alright Missy?" Asks Jenny lightly and Missy shrugs, taking your hand and holding it securely while absently glancing around.

Apparently seeing this as a hint, Jenny takes your other hand and they almost march you back to the blue box. You allow them to take you, searching for the apparent danger when something catches your eye. Pausing, they pull again to get you to move but you struggle to free yourself. He hadn't been there long, and you had no idea where he was now, but there had definitely been a man stood across from you. Just something about him... he looked curious like no other life form had been this evening, and sad. And so familiar.

"Missy why-?" You start but at that exact moment a deafening siren blares and the hall erupts into screams of fear as the lights switch off.

"(Y/n)!?" Someone calls anxiously but you are being jostled and shoved, pulled in all different directions until you trip and fall to the floor.

"Missy?!" You call back, scared and overwhelmed. "Jenny!" You try but you doubt they would be able to hear you if they were any more than a couple of feet away. You scramble back to your feet, sliding in your dress as a new pair of arms seize you and haul you away.

You shriek and fight, and to your shock they let go. You are surprisingly resigned to escape.

"(Y/n) are you ok? Where's The Doctor, and Yasmin? Are they hurt?" He asks and you freeze, keeping your distance. He looks human, blonde haired and possibly brown eyed, it's too dark to tell.

"How do you know my name?" You ask cautiously, being pushed roughly by the tide of people leaving the hall. Strangely, they don't seem to be heading out but into the lower regions of the building. Still, you don't have time to wonder about that.

"Look I'm sorry if I scared you, but you need to leave, now. Take care of the others" he pleades, already turning to go.

"No wait, who are you!" You shout and he turns slightly so you can see his face. Still so sad.

"I'm... too early" he sighs, before disappearing into the crowd. You search but he is nowhere to be seen.

"No wait!" You try, but he is long gone. You shriek as someone takes your arm, wheeling you round and looking at you with a hard and pleading expression.

"(Y/n), now!" Missy growls and you jump at her tone. She was serious.

"Missy please, what's going on?" You beg as she pulls you back against the stragglers.

"(Y/n) I'm so sorry, this was a mistake. I got the date wrong." She starts, not what you were expecting her to say. That's when it clicks in place. The outdated dresses, the silverware, even the music. And now the lights going out.

This wasn't a future projection of the blitz, this was the real thing. An idea supported by the first of many to come explosions, barely a mile away and fast closing in.