I Know You

(Present Day)

I awoke again from another nightmare. This one was about Bucky being tortured and the images were seared into my mind. I looked up at the bed to see Bucky wasn't there! Panic began to seep through my veins. Where was he!?

"Oh God."

I mumbled to myself up to someone who I no longer believed in. I began to head out of the trailer with my jacket on until the heartbreaking and horrifying scene caught me off guard. It was Bucky...reading my file!

"What are you doing?!" I cried.

He didn't answer, but he kept reading my file. I scrambled to get it out of his hands then held it close to my chest. Bucky just sat there with his head hanging low.

"I know you." He whispered.

Tears began to form in my eyes. I sighed then replied,

"Yeah. But things have changed me, and I don't know if I'm the same anymore."

Instantly, I regretted what I said. He's more damaged than me, yet I sounded like a hypocrite.

"I'm sorry. I did not mean that." I whispered to him. I faced away from him then unconsciously dropped my file and buried my head in my hands. The gravitational force of Earth brought tears down. I felt Bucky's hand on my shoulder, which took me by surprise, and I turned to see a soft expression on his face.

"Kitty Kat."

I smiled a little.

"Yes, that's me. I'm Kitty Kat...your Kitty Kat." A little hope began to spark inside of me as perhaps Bucky's damaged soul was starting to heal. He took a step closer while his hand crept up to the back of my neck. His touch was so warm and gentle; causing uncontrollable sobs to come from me. Bucky's ocean eyes had a little spark in them and made me go numb until I heard my heart start its metal beating get louder.

"Are you hungry?" I asked quietly. The light in his eyes dimmed as I lowered my gaze. The shame of what was now my body was too strong to continue this intimate moment between Bucky and I. His lips parted but no words came out. All of a sudden, there was a knock on the door. I acted on my instincts by grabbing the file, sliding the rug out, and opening the bunk.

"Go on and hide." I said turning to Bucky but instead he pushed me down the descending stairs in the bunk. My ribs and head ached and throbbed as I looked up just in time to see Bucky shut and lock the door. I ran up the dark stairs as fast as I could just in time to hear,

"So, I guess...you did kill..her."

I recognized the voice to be Brock Curlow's, only he sounded hoarse and out of breath. There was no answer from Bucky. In his silence, I could hear my own heavy breathing and hoped that Curlow couldn't pick it up.

"Hydra still lives...we need...you to be...the...fist of Hydra. Starting with...burning...Heart's safe-house...and all...evidence of her."

I started to hear a liquid being poured on the ground as the smell of gasoline filled my nostrils. Then something landed heavily on the ground with a grunt. I had a pocket knife in my jacket, so I pulled it out. I was prepared to defend myself by any means necessary. The doors started to open, and I lunged to attack; only to have the sad, blue eyes staring into my soul.

"Bucky." I breathed out along with relief. I crawled out of the bunk with the urge to hug him but decided against it. Looking over, I saw a burnt figure lying on ground, knocked out in a hospital gown. From the looks of it, I realized it was Curlow.

"We must go." Bucky mentioned quietly as he was gathering my things together. I grabbed the files of us, some food from the bunk, and the car keys. Bucky sat in the car with my bag on his lap. I dumped the files and food on the backseat then started driving away. The long drive was silent except the sound of the wheels on the road. I looked over to see that Bucky was looking really disturbed.

"What's wrong?" I asked him quietly, trying not to startle him.

"He called you Heart."

I bit my lip to hold back my hatred and shame of both that nickname and my body where that name originated from.

"Yeah. You read my file. It should be in there." I sounded colder than I intended to be. He grew quiet for a bit.

"Only your name, Kitty Kat." I glanced at him with a small smirk; my secret was safe but should I tell him? I sighed out of my decision.

"When everything calms down, I'll tell you everything. Sound good?" He nodded in response. It was good to know that he was starting to communicate a little better. Perhaps it was a start to something good again.