Heart of Steel

I was careful as always when I showered to avoid as much water as I could on the metal plate with a red star in the middle that ran between my breasts. It ran three inches from my belly button all the way to just above my breasts. Courtesy to Hydra that I have this plate that protects the wires that circuit my heart like it always has for the past 69 years. Hydra both gave and took everything from me,
which is the reason why I have this thick, hideous C-scar on my abdomen. Also why I wear the dog tags and small diamond ring around my neck. I knew them so well, down to the last scratch. My phone rang with another assignment from Hydra. 'HQ 8:00 A.M.', it read. Instantly, I knew what that meant; I had to finish what someone wanted done...

I was waiting in the lobby of the Hydra's secret headquarters. To the normal citizen, it looked like a private bank, but Hydra members knew otherwise. The ticking clock was the only thing that was withstanding the silence. I had to inhale a deep breath, for I have always been impatient.

"Well if it isn't the legendary, Heart of Steel," a chipper old man suddenly appeared with several guards. I hated that nickname with a burning passion, but I kept silent. Instead I stood up, and straightened my posture.

"It's a pleasure to finally meet you. I am Alexander Pierce." He held out his hand, but I didn't shake it. I saluted him instead as I was trained.

"It is an honor to make your aquaintance...sir." He turned around and smiled at one of the guards, who smirked back. They started to move, and I followed like a good, loyal dog.

"You know, you're better than some of the other people who work here. Know why?" he asked me as we were walking down a corridor.

"No, sir." I answered quietly.

"You show respect to your superiors and follow orders." he replied. I remained silent, but I gave a small smirk to myself. He obviously did not read my file whereas I have when I wasn't suppose to. It was disgusting reading what they've done to me. There's a difference between experiencing and reading it. The memories can be buried with distractions while the words are forever there. I used to be a nice girl, but now I don't know what I was. Maybe they could call me their puppet. We made our way to the medical room to check my heart. I removed my jacket, shirt, bra, and the dog tags behind the curtain to put on a paper vest thing to hide my breasts from the men that dominated the room. I laid back in the chair, as the doctor injected a needle into my arm full of painkillers. The poke was nothing compared to what was to come. No matter what amount of painkillers I was injected with, I could still feel the pain. They didn't understand that I became immuned to the injections. I tried to relax by taking deep breaths, but my body was still tense. They took a small tool that reminded me of a chrome bar to open up the metal plate. I bit my lip hard to muffle my screaming. I looked down to see my beating heart surrounded by some wires and a few metal parts. Then I spotted the deadly blue wire that helped my heart with making oxygen for my blood. If it was damaged or removed, I was dead in 30 seconds. Over the years, I've thought of so many times of pulling that wire and end it all, but I never attempted; he wouldn't want me to end it like that. The man who gave me the dog tags and engagement ring in 1944. The only man I've ever loved...Bucky Barnes.