An Assignment and A Promise

(Present Day) My health was in good shape, so Alexander and I got down to business.

"We need you to assassinate one of our biggest threats, ma'am. Here's all the information we have of her. Courtesy of S.H.I.E.L.D. We need this done within 48 hours." Alexander Pierce explained as he handed me the tablet with the file on it. I stared at the blank screen then stood up and began to walk.

"I'll have it done in 24." I heard him laugh then yell after me,

"I knew we'd get along well!" I rolled my eyes as I placed my sunglasses that I got in 1987. When I walked out of the building, I looked to my left to see several men come out of an SUV. One of them was different than the others. He had long, brown hair and had a metal left arm while wearing a mask...the infamous Winter Soldier. I caught him looking at me then I quickly ran across the street, heading towards my apartment. I glanced back to see the Winter Soldier still staring at me. It gave me the creeps and was pissing me off a bit. I hated people staring at me. It felt like they were staring through my clothes and saw my scars and my metal heart.

(Flashback) Bucky and I were dating now only for 2 years, but it felt a lot longer like decades. My parents didn't exactly approve of him, claiming that he was only a summer fling but it was winter now. We were having a snowball fight with Steve when Bucky announced,

"I'm going to join the army."

My heart sank as tears rose up.

"B-but Bucky, I don't want you to leave." I begged. The army may have needed him, but I needed him even more.

"I'm going with you Buck." Steve said sternly. Bucky laughed quietly.

"Aw come on now. Steve, I need you to watch Kat here. And Kat, I'll be home before you know it." He gave us his signature smirk, but Steve and I knew he was scared. I sighed and tried to fight back the tears, but I couldn't.

"You promise to come back?" I cried. Bucky put me in a huge embrace then kissed my temple.

"Of course, Kitty Kat, of course. I can't leave my best girl behind. I'm going to come back and love you til the end of the line." He whispered into my ear. Then embraced Steve and told him a promise of teaching him how to play baseball.

"Come on now. Let's cheer up!" Bucky smiled at us then scooped up snow and threw it at us. I screamed then laughed as Steve and I tried chasing after Bucky; however, he was too fast for us. These were the moments that I was going to miss so much with the love of my life.