But I Knew Him

Alexander Pierce stormed into the room and stood in front of Bucky. My heart thumped again as I felt myself get dizzy. Was I starting to go under cardiac arrest again?
"Mission report," Pierce commanded, but Bucky remained silent as he kept staring at me.
"Mission report now!"
Bucky still was quiet and zoned out until Pierce slapped him. I lowered my gaze because I still had to act detached even though I want to break Pierce's neck.
"The man on the bridge..."
Bucky whispered so softly and almost brokenly.
"Who was he?"
'It was Steve, you best friend Bucky.' I thought to myself.
"You met him earlier this week on an another assignment." Pierce explained.
"I knew him."
More hope grew inside of me, he was starting to remember. Pierce sat down in front of Bucky, and his focus changed to Pierce.
"Your work has been a gift to mankind. You shaped the century, and I need you to do it one more time. Society is at a tipping point between order and chaos. Tomorrow morning we're going to give it a push. But if you don't do your part, I can't do you mine, and Hydra can't give the world the freedom it deserves." Pierce told Bucky. He pursed his lips to Alexander while his brows furrowed.
"But I knew him."
Pierce nodded then turned to the scientists and ordered,
"Prep him."
The scientists looked stunned, but that's all they felt. I felt a hundred heartbreaks.
"He's been out of cryo-freeze too long."
One of them said as if he was like a timid lamb in front of a wolf.
"Then wipe him and start over."
The voice in my head was screaming as my heart shattered into dust, yet the wires was still holding all the tiny pieces together. Bucky bit on the mouth guard they gave him, but if I stopped them then the same thing would happen to me. I've done many things I'm not proud of, but if I forgot Bucky then I'd just be the hollow shell Hydra tries so hard to make me. Bucky kept staring at me as the machine turned on and his breathing got heavier. The machine did its horrible job on him as the most wretched, horrifying screams came from,
"Bucky." I whispered before the room started to spin and a black curtain fell over me.