Patriotic Duty

(Flashback) With the ring on my finger, I couldn't wait any longer for Bucky. I had to find a way to see him. There were field nurses wanted in France now near the Swiss Alps. At least it would take away an ocean in between Bucky and I. Now, it was time to tell my parents, who were disliking me already, about my new patriotic duty.

"You are not going because of that boy Katherine and that's final!" My mother hollered in my face.

"I'm 25 years old! You can no longer tell me what I can and can not do! And his name is James." I cried back.

"Don't you dare yell at your mother like that! Who do you think you are?!"

From some higher power, I felt very bold and brave. I rose up from my chair and stared at them intensely.

"I am Kat Barnes, who is going to do her part for this war...goodbye."

I walked out and slammed the door behind me. All I needed was Bucky...

"I need more bandages!" I hollered as I kept the pressure on a soldier's wound, but his blood still pooled through my fingers. It was like watching the Nile flow when Moses turned it into blood. The smell of the red liquid, death, and decay overwhelmingly filled my nostrils. Two more young nurses rushed to my aid, which was good because I felt like I was going to vomit, so I had to get some air. I barely made it out before the contents of my stomach could no longer be contained. Inhaling deep breaths as I sat, looking at the ruined catherdal that must have been so beautiful before the war. Now, it served as a hospital for the Allies with little hope of surviving these conditions. Maybe it wasn't such a good idea to be a nurse. The bloodshed and suffering of the soldiers constantly made me nauseous and want to vomit, and I prayed for Bucky to be alive.

"Look out!" Someone yelled, but it was too late. I was surrounded by fire, devastation and I couldn't breathe! There was immense pain in my chest as I saw a figure stand over me. Was it an angel or

"Bucky..."

Then the pain overcame me as darkness soon became a comfort to me.