Awkward Encounters

Amelia's POV

Awakening to a persistent knocking at the door, I groggily mumbled a "come in," only to realize that my response had possibly gone unheard. How foolish of me, I chided myself, letting out a soft giggle at my own folly. I conjectured that it must be one of the household staff, and I felt a pang of consideration for them waiting on the other side. It wouldn't do to keep them waiting; their efforts should be acknowledged and respected.

Taking swift steps, I approached the door, my anticipation heightening with each stride. I gently swung it open, revealing a house helper who was carrying a tray laden with breakfast items. As expected, it was a perfectly timed delivery. A crease formed between my eyebrows in response to the sight before me, my curiosity piqued by the unexpected gesture. I had informed Gabriel of my intention to join his family for breakfast, yet it seemed he had taken it upon himself to arrange an alternate meal.

I couldn't help but feel a twinge of frustration. Despite the familial tensions that permeated the mansion, especially with Gabriel's parents, I harbored a desire to bridge the gaps, to establish connections. I believed that perhaps a shared meal could alleviate some of the underlying discomfort.

"Madam, can you move, please? I need to place this on the table," the house helper spoke, her words laced with a discourteous tone. Her behavior caught me off guard, especially given her role as a staff member responsible for maintaining the household's standards. This encounter prompted me to reflect on the dynamics within the mansion. Were all the house helpers here characterized by a lack of decorum? My upbringing emphasized respect and courtesy, and I had no intention of departing from those values now.

With a composed demeanor, I stepped aside, allowing her to proceed with her task. My mother's teachings had instilled within me a commitment to politeness and humility, a legacy I carried with pride.

"I'm genuinely grateful for your efforts, but if you wouldn't mind, please take it back. I've decided to have breakfast downstairs with everyone," I conveyed, ensuring my words carried a respectful tone that wasn't intended to offend. It was important to me to maintain courtesy and diplomacy, even in the face of potential misunderstandings.

"However, Sir Gabriel specifically instructed me to bring your morning meal here," she responded, her tone tinged with annoyance as if challenging my request.

"I've already discussed my preference with him this morning, so you can indeed take it back," I replied with a hint of discontent. My patience, though steadfast, was beginning to wear thin. There were moments when I felt that certain individuals were prone to exploiting my kind nature. It was a reality I had encountered before, and this situation felt no different.

With an almost dismissive eye roll, she turned and departed with the breakfast tray in tow. As the door closed behind her, I released a small sigh of exasperation. "It's going to be quite the challenge adapting to life here," I sighed, acknowledging the uphill battle that lay ahead. Living amidst these dynamics wasn't going to be a walk in the park, that much was certain.

Engaging in my customary morning routine, I selected a cheerful yellow dress adorned with a delicate peter pan collar. Its high neckline was an intentional choice, designed to conceal the evidence of Gabriel's ardor from the previous night. I gingerly brushed my hair into a casual bun, the loose strands artfully framing my face. With a glance in the mirror to ascertain my presentability, I concluded my preparations and left my room.

Descending the staircase, I caught the sound of animated conversation resonating from the dining room. The lively chatter ceased as I entered the room, an unsettling hush replacing it. All eyes converged upon me, and I felt the weight of their collective scrutiny. The room appeared notably crowded, populated by six unfamiliar figures—three men and three women. My gaze swept across the space, identifying Gabriel's father seated at the head of the table, his mother positioned beside him. Angelica's absence was conspicuous, a cause for a flicker of unease to surface within me.