Chapter 3.

Fundy's POV:

I spun around, glancing at the tall man who was standing behind me, torch in one hand, axe in the other. He looked scary, with a bone white mask with a smile drawn by coal on it.

His hooded head was tilted to one side, seemingly watching me as he came two steps closer and leaned onto the tree.

"Wipe 'em down. There are sadder days."

Looking at the ground I slowly wiped my cheeks with my dirty hands.

"Who are you, if I may ask?"

He spoke in such a weird way.. my voice got stuck in my throat.

I hadn't spoken to somebody else than father in literal years, what am I supposed to answer??

With all nervousness I got out a quiet "Fundy" before grabbing the cloth of my jacket and started to tug on it.

"Hmm.. Fundy... nice name." The masked man said, while lowering his axe to the ground, with its head hidden by the grass blades. "Where are you from, Fundy?"

I looked slightly up, glancing at the stranger and observing his axe. It looked dangerous.

"From L'Manberg." I said, not so nervous, now that he had the axe closer to me. I started to study the weirdly colored axe with interest. It has been a while since I saw one.

He chuckled. "No way. No L'Manberg citizen is allowed to leave the city walls. The president doesn't allow it." He said, crouching down to my level, resting his elbow on the axes handle.

"But I am from L'Manberg. Born and raised." I said, glancing up at him fully, looking at his mask.

"Well, how did you escaped, than." He asked me and looked down, seemingly at me, as if he could see through the hard material covering his face.

"I dug a hole." I said simply with a shrug.

"A hole."
"Yes. A hole."
"And where is that hole, because I don't see any." The man asked, looking around with his hands doing a simple searching gesture.

"Behind this tree."

He looked behind the tree trunk, giving a quick glance at the fox hole. "That's a fox den. Not a hole." He explained, looking back at me.

"And I am definitely a normal human being with normal mouth with lips a nose not bigger than half an inch and round ears on the side of my head." I said, irritated. I didn't liked how he acted, for some reason.

A simple "Oh..." sounded from his mouth as he looked back at it, pointing his torch in it's way and looking at the deep deep hole, which was hidden inside of the fox den.

He glanced back, the light shining on me from high up as I flicked my pointy ear. He chuckled again and looked over the city.

"So you are a runaway now, eh?"

I looked at him. "No. I have to come back. Dad will be furious with me, if he finds out that I dug out a hole." I said.

The man looked at me for a minute, not moving a muscle. "Can I know who is you father?" He asked me, slowly, as if he was thinking about something else.

"Wilbur."

A bit of silence hung in the air, until the man next to me stood up, running his fingers under his hood. He left his axe leaning against the tree...

"You are Wilbur Soot's son. Son of THE Wilbur Soot. Of the president of L'Manberg." He asked, looking at me. When I nodded, he spun around and made few steps away from me and than came rushing back, crouching closer.