Chapter Twenty Seven

"Hello?"

That voice sounded so foreign to me. It shouldn't have though. That was the voice that I've grown accustom to hearing at every family gathering. A voice that I could easily pick out of a crowd. A voice that no longer felt like home.

"Hi," I said lamely. My mouth suddenly got really dry. I plopped down on Luke's couch while he gave me some space. Although I was pretty sure he was eavesdropping.

"I can't believe you answered," Aunt Kelly said with a little chuckle. "This doesn't seem real. How are you? Are you okay? Please tell me you aren't living on the streets."

"If I was living on the street I don't think I would be talking to you right now."

"Right," she said chuckling again. She was nervous. "Sorry. How are you Paxton?"

This conversation was too formal. We sounded like strangers being forced to talk to one another. But this was my fault I guess.

"I'm good," I told her. Luke wandered back into the room, a bag of pretzels in hand. "What about you?"

"I'm good," she told me. That sounded like a lie.

"Why do you keep calling me?" I suddenly blurted out. I couldn't help myself.

Kelly's end of the line was silent. I would get this answer out of her one way or another.

"I just, I'm your family Paxton. I want to make sure you're okay. It's like you've fallen off the face of the earth. I try to call every few months just to make sure you're okay."

"And to try to make me come home," I muttered under my breath.

"At first, yes," she told me. I didn't think she would have heard that. "But..you're an adult. You were an adult when you left. It's not like we could have done much to make you stay. Steven on the other hand, we could have had him brought back. I just wished you would have stuck around for a little longer."

"I'm happy I didn't," I told her. "I'm happy with my new life."

So life in California could be a little boring sometimes. And sometimes I would work long hours or have to live off cereal for a few days. But this was a fresh start for me. I got to see the other side of the country. I got to make new friends. I got to meet Luke.

"Where are you now?" She asked.

I sighed. Did I really want to tell her? I looked over to Luke. He was sitting on the floor, more interested in his pretzels than me.

"It's not like we are going to come and get you Paxton, if that's what you're afraid of. We know you'll just leave again."

"California," I told her. At least she knew not to come looking for me.

"You drove all the way across the country?" She choked out. She seemed surprised. But when I thought about it, it was surprising.

"Yeah, I did." I smiled. This was something I was proud of. "I really like it here."

"That's good," she still sounded a little strange to me. But at the same time that did sound sincere. "Did you make any friends?"

"A couple," I told her. My ear was starting to hurt. This was the longest I've been on the phone with someone in awhile.

"A boyfriend?"

I felt my face instantly heat up. I was well aware of what Luke and I were. However, hearing someone else say the word boyfriend gave me a funny feeling. I looked over at him. He met my gaze and gave me a goofy grin.

"Yeah," I said, still looking at Luke. "I do have a boyfriend."

*

Once Aunt Kelly found out I was in a relationship that brought on a whole new wave of questions. After awhile our conversation felt natural. It didn't seem like we haven't talked in over a year.

"My ear really hurts," I complained to Luke as we sat on the couch. Calum just got home and was making a pizza.

"You did talk for a long time," Luke noted.

"I didn't expect to."

"I think it's good that you did. It's good to keep in touch with family."

I bit down on my lip, looking at my hands. "Have you talked to your mom recently?"

Luke went stuff beside me. I glanced over at him. "No," he said flatly.

"Maybe you should take your own advice."

He scoffed and rolled his eyes. I crossed my arms and glared at him. "I'm serious."

"What do you want me to do, just drop everything and go and see her?"

"Yes actually."

He looked down at me. It was at times like this when I felt really small. "I can't just take a few days off from my job. We have bills to pay."

"Bullshit," Calum said. He was leaning against the wall, his mouth full of pizza. "Go and see your mom Luke, it'll be good for you."

I smile at Calum, happy he was on my side. Luke huffed and slouched deeper into the couch.

"I hate both of you," he mumbled.

I kissed his cheek. "Sure you do."

A/N: lol you guys are so going to hate me soon.

SO THIS STORY IS KINDA SORTA ALMOST DONE JUST FYI

I'm kinda at a standstill for my story Cop Car so if you have any ideas please let me know!