Prologue

{1 year ago}

"I really should be heading home," I told my best friend. "It's getting late and I still have to do the dishes since my brother probably didn't do them."

"You're no fun Pax," Hannah groaned, but stood up. "It's a Saturday night and you're going home to do dishes."

"Pretty much," I said walking out into the warm summer air. I climbed into the passenger seat of Hannah's car.

*

The entire ride to my house Hannah complained to me. She droned on how I was pretty much a boring adult already and before I knew it I would be going to bed at eight. Little did she know that sometimes I did.

"I'll see ya later Han," I said walking up to my house. I opened the door and kicked my shoes off.

"Paxton's home!" My younger brother yelled. Before I could register what was going on he was standing in front of me, smiling hugely. His dark brown hair hanging in his eyes.

"What do you want weirdo?" I asked shoving him aside.

Steven was fifteen and annoying. He was just like any other teenage boy. He liked girls, ate a shit ton of food, and hated personal hygiene.

"Mom and dad said if you didn't get back too late we could go get milkshakes," he said.

I laughed and shook my head. Although a chocolate milkshake did sound pretty good. I walked into the living room and looked at my parents.

"So are we getting milkshakes or not?"

*

"Steven, slow down!" Mom said laughing. "You're going to get a brain freeze!" But of course Steven didn't listen, and continued to quickly down his shake.

I looked around the small diner. It was pretty packed, which wasn't surprising. This place was known for its milkshakes. I took another big sip.

"Why were you home so early Pax?" Dad asked.

I shrugged. "I dunno. I just felt like coming home."

"Because she's lame," Steven muttered under his breath. I kicked him under the table.

Steven was about to protest and I knew mom was about to step in, but a loud bang and the sound of glass shattering stopped us all.

"Everyone get down on the ground and do as your told!" A loud man's voice boomed up.

My heart began to thud loudly in my chest. It stopped all together when I heard a gun.

"Give us all your money."

A/N: soooo...not gonna lie I was pretty excited with the two votes on the blurb. Thanks for reading my story btw!

I'll try to update at least once a week, but sometimes it may take me a little longer.