Chapter Twenty Eight

"I don't get why I have to come with you," I said, putting my sunglasses on.

"It was your idea. So you're coming with."

"That doesn't make sense," I muttered. "This is your family, not mine."

Luke told me the only way he would go and see his mom was if I went with. I was shocked by this. I didn't expect him to want me to meet his family, especially after what he told me about his dad. We fought about this for a long time. Needless to say Luke won.

"Mom will be excited to see you. It's been a long time since I've had a girlfriend."

I always wondered about Luke and past relationships. He told me he was afraid of commitment. I assumed that his last one didn't end well and that was a topic I shouldn't bring up.

"How do you know? What if she doesn't like me?"

"She likes pretty much everyone. And if I like you then so will she."

"Are you a mama's boy?" I teased.

"Shut up," Luke grumbled turning the radio up. I laughed.

I was hoping that Luke's father wouldn't be there. I could handle myself and wasn't afraid of much, however, Luke's father sounded scary. I didn't want to see a fight or see Luke get upset about this.

I thought about my own parents, and how they would never get to formally meet Luke. We would never sit at the dining room table and eat mom's amazing chicken Alfredo. Luke would never hear dad's cheesy jokes and attempts to be strict. Luke would never get a hug from my mom, accepting him.

"What are you thinking of?" Luke asked me.

"Nothing," I told him.

*

Luke's mother's house was cute. It was tiny and compacted tightly. A white picket fence surrounded it and all of the curtains were drawn. From the outside it looked very welcoming.

Luke took in a deep breath and wiped his hands off on his jeans.

"Why are you so nervous? Doesn't she know we are coming?"

"No," he told me getting out of the car. He never answered my first question. I scrambled out of the car and quickly caught up to Luke as he walked up the front sidewalk. I slipped my hand into his and gave it a squeeze. He seemed to relax a little after that.

When he rang the doorbell I gave him a funny look. "Why didn't you just walk in?"

"I want this to be a surprise."

Before I could counter that with my own statement of how it could still be a surprise even if he did just walk in, the door opened.

A woman with blonde hair and blue eyes opened the door. Once she registered that it was her son standing there a huge smile broke out on her face. She had a nice smile and her eyes crinkled a bit when she did so. Wrinkles around her mouth and eyes were noticeable, but she didn't seem to be old at all.

"Oh my god," she said pulling Luke in for a hug. He had to crouch a little to hug her back. "What are you doing here?"

"I came to visit," he said. I couldn't help but smile. It was nice to see this.

"It's so good to see you Luke!" Mrs. Hemmings sounded like she was crying. I didn't know what to do with myself and felt out of place. Luke shouldn't have brought me with.

"I want you to meet someone," Luke said finally pulling away. I stood up a little straighter and fixed my shirt. "This is Paxton, my girlfriend."

Mrs. Hemmings's eyes widened at that. I felt myself blush.