Jake Puckerman (and Ryder Lynn)

throwback duet———Y/n POV:

throwback duet
———
Y/n POV:

Jake Puckerman. Like that name doesn't already have trouble written all over it.
Following his big brothers steps, he was the biggest player of the entire school. He would make a girl fall in love with him with a glance, hook up with them and after that, just ignore them. No strings. No feelings. Just one night stands with every single girl he sees. Although he did date this Marley girl for a while, which might be the most serious relationship he's ever been in. But they're broken up now.

Jake has been my best friend ever since grade school and we basically grew up together. I used to have a huge crush on him in middle school. I don't really know if he ever noticed so, but I did. And it was terrible.
When we both went to high school, we grew apart. He became a ladies man and I became...well, me. We still keep in touch though since we go to the same school and we're both in new directions. We talk and sometimes hang out together but it's not the same and as comfortable as it was when we were younger.

I was by my locker when Jake walked past me with yet another cheerleader under his arm. He waved his right arm at me and I mouthed a "hi" to him before he continued walking.
He went out of my sight but I soon followed him behind to the choir room for glee club practice.

I walked in and sat next to my usual seat, next to Kitty. She has been surprisingly nice to me ever since day one, although she was definitely a bitch to Marley when she was still dating Jake. And well, she has always been a bitch to everyone...She smiled at me before mr shue came into the classroom and started our lesson.

"Alright guys. I had this great idea for this weeks lessons today when I stumbled into some of my favorite old songs back in the days" he spoke as he wrote something on the whiteboard. There it was, scribbled down with a marker: throwback
"That's right. This week I want us to get all nostalgic and I want you guys to sing some of your favorite songs from your childhood! You can do it solo or sing a duet, whatever works for you" he cheered.
We all clapped, this was going to be fun!

———
After glee club, it was time to go home. I was just outside of school, listening to music and waiting for my dad to come pick me up when I heard someone approach me. I turned around and saw Ryder there.

"Hey y/n, what's up?"
I shrugged my shoulders: "well I was gonna go home and do homework" I smiled.
Ryder raised his eyebrows at me, questioning my answer. I send him back a weary look: "you're right. I will procrastinate my homework and eventually do it when it comes
close to midnight"
He laughed at me: "I thought so"
I smiled at him. "What's up with you?"
His eyebrows raised once again: "oh, right.
I was just going to ask if you wanted to work on this weeks glee club assignment together. I have some great throwback songs in my mind...but I will need a duet partner"
My face turned into a surprised look and my mouth was open. Ryder and I never really sang duets or talked that much. And now, he wanted to spend time with me.
"Um, sure. That would be nice!"
"Great. I'll text you!" he said. He gave me a quick hug before walking to his bike. I smiled to myself and I saw my dad's car in the distance.
———
The following week, Ryder and I hang out a lot. We worked on our duet every day after school, sometimes at his place, sometimes at my place. We had grown really close in only a short period of time. On Thursday, we were practicing the song again.
He was smiling at me proudly the whole time when I sang my parts and when we finished singing and wrapped up, he complimented me dozens of times:

"Y/n it's just not fair how you don't get that much solos in glee club. You've got a killer voice!" he smiled. I shook my head: "I'm not the kind of person to be in the spotlight. I like being in the back"
"I'm just saying. Don't be afraid to show your talent" he said as he picked up his backpack and threw it on his shoulder.

To his surprise, I embraced him into a tight hug. "Thanks Ryder, you're really sweet"
I felt him smile against my hair. He pulled away from the hug and our faces were just inches away from each other. I didn't even realize that he was leaning in before I felt his hot breath on my lips. Before he closed the gap between us, I pulled away.
I saw Ryders frown on his face and
my heart dropped .

"I'm sorry Ryder, I hate to do this to you. You're a great guy and an amazing friend but-"
"But you like someone else?" he shrugged.
I quickly looked down on the ground as I heard him sigh.
"It's Jake isn't it?"
I immediately looked back up at him as I heard him say that. "Huh?"
"It's Jake, the guy you like I mean" he smiled.
I quickly shook my head.
"It's okay y/n you can admit it" he smiled.
I looked down again: "how did you know?"
"It's the little things. The way you look at him and talk to him" he sighed. "And besides, you guys go way back!"
A single tear rolled down my cheek. "I'm sorry Ryder, I don't want to hurt you"
"Don't worry about me"
I looked up and my teary eyes met his warm ones. He opened his arms at me and embraced me into a hug. "We're still duet partners right?" I chuckled. I felt him smile against my skin: "yeah. we're going to rock this
assignment tomorrow"
"yeah we are"

———
On Friday, me and Ryder sang our duet and the room exploded with applauses from our friends. I looked at Jake and he had an angry expression spread all over him as me and Ryder finished our throwback song.
He clapped with the rest of the class but he didn't seem to enjoy it. And as soon as the class ended, he rushed out of the room, me quickly after him as I said goodbyes to my friends.

I catches up to him just when he stepped outside of the school.
"Hey, Jake! Wait up!" I yelled at him but he didn't turn around. "Jake, just talk to me, what is going on?"
"I don't know you tell me" he said as he turned around angrily. My muscles tensed from his angry and exhausted look: "It's just- you seemed so angry there at the glee club as me and Ryder sang" I spoke.
He remained silent. "Are you okay Jake?"
"Do you like Ryder?" he quickly said.
My eyes went wide: "No, no of course not. He's just a friend and he asked me to sing a duet with him!"
"But why didn't you ask me to sing a duet with you?! I mean we have some history!" he yelled at me. I flinched back.
"Y/n, we have a handful of good throwback songs to sing along to, together!" he said, tears forming his eyes. I had never seen him like this.
I shook my head at him, getting angry: "Well it's not like you care about me either! You're always with those cheerleader chicks or football girls. Literally with any
other girl than me!"

He stepped closer to me and before I even realized it, his lips were on mine. In my head I knew that this should not be the way to go but in my heart, I loved it. I loved how his lips fit into mine like puzzle pieces. I wrapped my hands around his neck to deepen the kiss and he wrapped his arms around my waist. As we pulled away, he looked deep into my eyes.

"I really like you y/n. And not just as friends. I have liked you ever since we were little kids. When we went to high school, I've been trying to hook up with other girls and even be in a serious relationship to get over you. And I don't know if it was the way that you looked at my best friend when you sang that kicked in the jealousy but...I really like you y/n. Heck, I think I love you" he smiled.
My smile grew wider the second: "I love you too Jake" I whispered as I gave him a quick kiss. I felt him smile into the kiss. "Well in that case, would you be okay if we tried this?" he smirked.
I raised my eyebrows: "Being together as a couple?"
He nodded his head quickly.
"Oh you know I'm more than okay with that" I said as I smiled widely.

______

a/n: Heh, I just love Ryder and Jake together :)