Pope Heyward

"we deserve a break"

------

y/n pov:

"Come on Pope, just a few more minutes. That was an easy question!" I said sitting next to my boyfriend of three years.

He groaned in frustration. "I know y/n, I'm so going to lose this scholarship!" he sighed as he hid his face deep into his hands.

"You're not going to lose it" I said as I laid my hand on his back. "You just gotta focus. And I'm going to help you with your independent studies."

"It's just hard to focus knowing everything that's been going on this summer" he said, now looking up at me. "I mean, weren't we supposed to have a good time, all the time?"

"And we have had it that way! It's just hard for people like us to break the rules once a while and not feel guilty about it" I sighed as I laid my head on his shoulder.

We sat there in silence for a bit. This summer had been even crazier in the outer banks and the pogues versus kooks thing had gone a little bit out of hand. We were supposed to be incognito all summer, doing whatever we wanted, whenever we wanted to. But with us finding a sunken boat, having Topper almost drown John B, getting chased by two shady square groupers with guns, searching for the royal merchant gold while trying to find out what happened to John B's dad and much more, we had gone from ignored and neglected to acknowledged and included. And we really haven't had time to cope with all of that.

I smiled, looking up at my boyfriend again. "You know what, we deserve a break from all this studying."

His face turned upwards and he nodded slowly. I made my way to Pope's bed and soon he walked to the other side and laid down. "Thanks for helping me study y/n, this scholarship really means a lot to me"

"No problem Pope. It's good that at least one of us is going to college, right?" I chuckled before feeling his grip tighten around my waist.