42. What Do You Got?

What do you got, if you ain't got love
Whatever you got, it just ain't enough
You're walkin' the road, but you're goin' nowhere
You're tryin' to find your way home, but there's no one there

Nothing can get me more pumped than a brainstorming session, especially when the weight of our world is on our shoulders. We were on a conference table surrounded by holograms and displays related to the six Infinity Stones.

Since we were a lot of people, Tony and Mr. America and were leading the session like the awesome divorced, bickering couple they are. This feels like high school all over again, but now I'm excited to learn and contribute to the class.

"Okay, so the 'how' works. Now we gotta figure out the when and the where. Almost everyone in this room has had an encounter with at least one of the six Infinity Stones," Steve started.

We were all seated at a rectangular table, waiting for instructions. Tony held a cup of his Starbucks. "Or substitute the word 'encounter' for 'damn well near been killed' by one of the six Infinity Stones."

"Well, I haven't, but I don't even know what the hell you're all talking about," my dad muttered. When I heard that, I dropped the quantum physics book I was scanning.

"I thought I explained you everything on the way here..." I answered brokenheartedly. Was he not paying attention when I described the reason I was in the hospital for a month and the reason I got my powers?

Dr. Banner roamed from the left side. "Regardless, we only have enough Pym Particles for one round trip each, and these stones have been in a lot of different places throughout history."

"Our history." Tony chimed in. "So, not a lot of convenient spots to just drop in, yeah?"

"Which means we have to pick our targets," Clint concluded.

"Correct."

I chewed the bottom part of my blue pen as the interrogation of Mr. America commenced. "So, let's start with the Aether. Thor, what do you know?"

We all turned around to see the God of Thunder. Unlike his previous heroic, golden reputation, he was laying on the chair wearing sunglasses. The shirt did not cover the lower portion of his stomach. The worst part was probably the tips of his fingers inside his pants. A can of alcohol remained on his hands. And was he... was he snoring?

His body was not moving at all. Nat's clicking pen echoed higher now that everyone was quiet. "Is he asleep?"

"No, no, I'm pretty sure he's dead," Rhodey added.

»»————- 🐝 ————-««

It took us around 10 minutes of struggling and sweating to get Thor on his feet. His walking was far from straight, but at least he was saying... words. I'm pretty sure he's hungover.

"Uh... where to start? Umm... The Aether, firstly, is not a stone." He took off his glasses. "Someone called it a stone before. It's more of a... an angry sludge thing, so... someones gonna need to amend that. Here's an interesting story though, many years ago... My grandfather had to hide the stones from the Dark Elves... Woooh, scary beings." He wiggled his fingers and chuckled.

I leaned into Natasha and whispered, "Am I on drugs, or what the fuck is going on?" Her hand covered half of her face, so just shrugged and proceeded in deciphering Thor's babbling.

"So Jane, actually... " the image of the aforementioned appeared on the screen. "Oh, there she is. That's Jane... She's... an old flame of mine... You know, she stuck her hand inside a rock this one time, and then the Aether stuck itself inside her... And, she became very, very sick. So I had to take her to Asgard, which is where I'm from. And we had to try and fix her."