80. Two Story Town

It's the same old ship going 'round
I'm going down, down, down, down, down
It's a two story town

As much as I wanted to work with my boyfriend, we knew we had to hurry before Strange freed himself from the mathematical and astrophysical restraints. So, I took charge of Otto's chip while Peter build an energy channeler for Max and maybe the other (Y/n).

I read and updated the code for it to become modern. Unfortunately, she (I?) had perfect timing, her black, glittery boots echoing as she asymmetrically trotted inside the room. "Did you know the honey bee has nearly half as many genes as the human genome?"

"I did not," I truthfully answered, wanting more than to get rid of the breathing down my neck. It took me a second to fully register the random fact she spewed. I ceased my work. "Wait, why do you know that?"

"Genetics degree? Hellooo?" she left the question hang in the air as it was such a common fact to carry around her pocket. Right, she's crazy, but smart.

The room fell into a weird silence. "...And you're telling me this because...?"

She raised her hands, similar to a gunpoint situation. "Jeez, I was just trying to make a connection. Talk or bond or whatever. Killer Bee to Killer Bee."

I couldn't stop the offended scoff escaping from my lips. "Listen, (Y/n), I-I don't know what went wrong with you, but you and I are wayyy different."

"Okay, Lang, besides the last name, we have so much in common," she sang.

I noticed she used Lang to address me, so I wanted to know more. "Wait. What's your last name?"

"Lawrence."

The laptop laying on the coffee table with the chip's code was moved to the side as I buried my head in my hands. "Wait, why am I even talking to you? Ugh, you're so annoying!"

"See? One thing we have in common!" I swear she has such an aggravating, punchable face? Does that mean I have a punchable face? Nah, I would never wear my hair like that. That's what is mostly bothering me. "What else? Oh! How did you meet Petey?"

I rolled my eyes and released my tools, finally caving into interacting with my evil self. "I met Peter on a fight in Germany. We were fighting each other as KB and Spiderman, but then we became friends when we went to Midtown High together."

"What a coincidence! I also met Peter through Midtown."

"That's not as astounding as you think. High school's a pretty standard place to meet someone," I reasoned as I controlled my urge to kick her through the window.

Her burst of joy was replaced with a stare of disgust. "Then what happened?"

"I found him talking to the phone. I looked to where the voice was coming and from and, lo and behold, he was in his suit, maskless, and upside down."

Now she was kneeling beside me... despite having a perfectly good spot on the couch. "How about your powers? How did you get them?"

"An accident with Loki in the battle of New York."

"Loki? As in the Nordic god of mischief who shapeshifts? Ha!" Huh. The first time I heard her laughing because of something non-evil. Though I'm uncertain if she snorted because she didn't believe I was attacked by Loki or that they chose me out of all the possible targets.

After a long pause, I sat crisscrossed to get in a more comfortable position. "You?"

She looked at her nails. "I was experimenting with bee mutations for work— African killer bees to be precise. Max, my dog, pressed some buttons in the control cabin, releasing the toxins into my lab. The tragedy altered my DNA and now I'm... this."