Is This The End?

The day for the provisional exam was drawing closer and closer by the day

The day for the provisional exam was drawing closer and closer by the day. Oya wasn't happy about this, but they explained that if this was the path I chose, then they would respect it. Even if they didn't like the fact that one day I could end up like Ona, they respected my choice.

My new dorm was pale compared to the rooms of some of my classmates. Nonetheless, everyone saw my boring room as their personal therapy center. Everyday someone would come in, vent and leave. It was a pretty good system.

The Big Three from the third year and I decided to meet up and talk. And considering I was already really good friends with one of them, we hit off well from the start. I would get sparring lesson from them, and I found out that I could hold my own with Nejire and Tamaki. Though I would lose in the end, it was more because of my lack of refinement more than strategical incompetence.

The days passed faster with every sweet memory I made within the small timeframe and before I knew it, the Provisional Exam was just two days away. I turned myself in for the night, promising the Big Three that I would hang out with them the next day. Making new friends had been one of the best parts of coming back. And I knew that nothing would ruin these moments. "Tomorrow I'll hang out with the others as well," I thought as I slowly drifted off to sleep.

"Did you really think I would let you destroy my balance and walk away without any repercussions?" The sound of laughter echoed threw a room or wherever I was. "Cute but idiotic." The darkness shifted away, making the voice seem clearer than before. "Let the boss battle commence!"

The scene changed to a ballroom, the Shadow sitting on the throne usually reserved for the king. His lips moved, as if he was muttering something, his eyes wandering. He adorned a smug grin, and cast his eyes down at me as if was but a side quest he wished to complete. With a flick of his wrist he made distorted monsters, pitch black as if they had been made out of the void.

They ran at me, grabbing at whatever was closest. I dodged their attacks, trying to avoid getting hurt as much as possible. But they seemed to just be getting closer and closer. Deciding that defense wasn't getting me anywhere, I tried punching one of them only to find that my hand just passed through them. Unfortunately this gave an opening to the monsters, through which one of the creatures attacked me. The push threw me across the ballroom, my back hitting the walls. I fell limp on the floor, unable to move away nor protect myself.

I heard their deformed footsteps getting closer to me and as my last sliver of hope started to slip away, I weakly whispered at them to stay away. The steps stopped, which triggered an angry sigh from the villain. "Damn... Didn't think you'd figure it out so soon." I peeked my eyes open only to find that the man stood right in front of me. "Well, it's your mind, so your orders will be the priority..." A giggle escaped his mouth which he tried to conceal with his hand. "We'll meet again!"