CHAPTER 20

"Penelope! For the last time, I'm fine; Aaron's fine. He is forbidden to fly and I volunteered to drive back——Pen that's not it at all——PENELOPE!——You've been hanging out with Emily and Derek too much, you're incorrigible, now I have to go so I don't crash the car holding your precious cargo in it—yes me! I'm the precious cargo! Goodbye Penelope! Enjoy your flight!" I say laughing as I hang up the phone and focus my gaze back towards the road. Aaron and I left the hotel around 8 am to get a head start while the rest of the team was flying out around noon give or take. We were somewhere in the middle of Jersey when Penelope woke up and realized we had already checked out of the hotel. Aaron, to my surprise, fell back asleep in the car only 25 minutes into our drive and was still knocked out. A quick look at my GPS said we were at least another 2 and half hours minimum with no traffic, shaking my head, I lean one arm against the window and prop my head up.

"You know, just cause I have ear damage doesn't mean I can't drive.." Aaron says, startling me and making my head hit the window.

"Ow, you idiot, you scared the hell out of me. How long have you been awake? And no you're supposed to be resting, not driving." I respond, rubbing the spot where my head was hurting as he chuckles quietly.

"Long enough to hear you talking about 'precious cargo' I'm guessing that would've either been Penelope or Emily grilling you?" He asks smirking and I lean over to smack his chest with the back of my hand

"Penelope of course. Wouldn't expect any less from her. She woke up and saw that one of the cars wasn't parked outside and that we had checked out this morning. We have about 2:30 left, we've made good time so far." I say glancing back and forth between him and the road. He nods and lays back in his seat again closing his eyes.

"...Ryleigh?" He asks softly

"Yeah?"

"When you called me after the ambulance exploded...you referred to yourself as Ellie.." he started and I internally cringed, hoping he wouldn't have remembered that little slip up.

"...yeah" I whisper, tightening my grip on the wheel.

"Ryleigh, I know you're with Hector, but if I don't say this, I don't think I ever will. And I'm not good with..you know..emotions, but I don't think I ever stopped loving you and-" Aaron starts before getting cut off my phone ringing.

"Sorry, hold that thought. Deputy Chief Andrews—yes ma'am—uh I don't think it'll be necessary anymore, I've torn into him enough and with the damage—yes ma'am. I understand—of course, the rest of the team is flying out around noon and we still have about 2 hours left—yes of course, I'll let him know—thank you, you as well—bye..Sorry Aaron, that was Strauss" I say cringing

"Ugh what did she want now?" He groans and I laugh at his facial expression

"She just wanted to know if I had the paperwork complete since she didn't get any emails from us, and then she also asked if we still needed to have that sit down and I told her no, ah-ah you're not off the hook, I said no meeting with Strauss. You still have to sit down with me one day this week." I explain, hooking my phone back onto the clip attached to the vent.

"Great, can't wait for that.." he deadpans and I shake my head at his antics

"And to answer you from before...I'm not with Hector, Aaron, I never have been and never will. Not that I need to explain to you but we would just occasionally sleep together and we thought about starting something permanent but after this case...that's what we were talking about last night before we left...it would never work. And that's really nice of you to say Aaron and I know how you feel, but I don't really know where I stand okay? I of course still hold you close to my heart and I trust you in the field 110% but I don't trust you with my heart yet..sorry to be blunt but I've never been known to sugar coat things have I?" I ask laughing slightly