CHAPTER 28

Text
( Time skip 2 weeks )

After that last case we had, I decided to take some time to myself to regain my composure. The team stopped by a couple times which helped raise my spirits a little bit. Before we left Dallas, I made good on my promise to Megan and made sure that anyone and everyone involved in the list was persecuted to the fullest extent, including the forced resignation of Andrew Kane. A couple weeks later, Aaron and I had gone out to dinner to test the waters. Both of us had felt that pull during the Dallas case and agreed to go on a date and see where it goes. Halfway through dinner, his phone rang and he looked up at me guilty as if he forgot we work in the same field.

"I'm so sorry--Hotchner--uh yes I remember him--did he say why--okay yeah, i'll uh i'll be on the next flight out of here. Can you send me the address please--great, thank you." Aaron replies and I watch as the frown on his face grows with every minute that passes.

"What was that all about? New case?" I question once he gets off the phone.

"No, an old friend asked for me to come and see him. Apparently he's dying and has information on a cold case from years ago. Said it's imperative that I get there soon." He replies slightly puzzled. I furrow my brow and grab my bag, digging around in my wallet for my card so that we could pay, only to realize he had already left money on the table to cover it and more. Glancing up at him, he's standing next to my chair with his arm outstretched to grab my hand. He pulls me out of the chair and pulls me out of the restaurant quickly.

"Ryleigh, will you come with me just in case it turns out to be something?" Aaron offers and I nod, a small smile growing on my face at the question.

"Of course, we just need to swing by the office so I can grab a go bag." I answer and he nods, pulling the car out of the space and heading back towards the office again. After getting everything situated and settled on a flight, I realize I have no idea where we are even going.

"Um Aaron? Where are we going actually?" I ask, chuckling nervously as he glances up from the papers he was reading through.

"South Boston. We're going to see Tom Shaunessy." He replies and I nod, turning back to face the window. We land in Boston and pick up the rental car Aaron had paid for, punching in the address of Tom's house and head out of the parking lot.

"I feel like I already asked this but why did he want to see you?" I question and he looks over briefly before turning back to the road.

"You did, but it's okay. I don't really know, all the person said was that it was imperative that I come quickly." He shrugs and I reach over, turning up the radio a little bit to fill the uncomfortable silence between us.

The house we pull up to is in a nice neighborhood, but the house looks like it's barely been taken care of over the years. I follow Aaron out of the car and up the steps, hanging behind him as he knocks on the door and steps back on the porch. An elderly lady answers the door and looks back and forth between the two of us before opening the door all the way.

"Mr. Hotchner?" She asks and I bite the inside of my cheek to keep from laughing out loud.

"Yes, I uh also brought along my...girlfriend. Im sorry, I hope that's alright." He mentions, gesturing towards me and my eyebrows hit my hairline in shock. I cock my head to the side and give him a look of surprise. He glares at me almost as if to say play along and I smile sticking my hand up to wave at the lady.

"Hi, I'm Ryleigh!" I introduce myself and she smiles, beckoning the two of us inside before closing the door behind us, and I get the uneasy feeling of being watched.