CHAPTER 41.

Chapter 41: "Have you found anyone?"

*

"You are enough to drive a saint to madness or a king to his knees."

-Grace Willows: To Kiss a King-

*

Yusra walked downstairs with her heart in her hands. There were many thoughts in her mind, all having one person of interest.

By the time she reached the living room, her fight or flight response was ever so ready. If I run now, will they notice?

"Yusra!" too late. She smiled at Lila and said her salutations loudly. Her eyes remained on Lila alone just as her mother called her to bring tea. She immediately turned and followed her mother to the kitchen.

She took the fine china cups set out in a tray and filled it with tea before walking out with it, following her mother again. She set the tray on the table and turned to Lila again. Success.

Lila took her hand and made her side beside her, right beside Islah. Just on a different sofa. Her father, Islah's father and Abaan were seated on the couch beside Islah's, already deep in some discussion while her mother, aunt and Lila were on the other side; now also in discussion.

"How has my little lady been?" Lila asked, placing a kiss on her forehead. Yusra immediately smiled at her gesture.

"Alhamdulillah."

"Jetleg?"

"Very much so. But I slept it off." She replied and Lila nodded.

A strong scent of woods and morning dew drifted in the air, making her heart race. It's been a while, she smiled. Lila began talking to her animatedly, making her temporarily forget the presence of Islah Reza-Ibrahim beside her.

That was until Ahmad asked Dawud if Islah and Yusra could talk. Dawud had no objections but he wanted Yusra to be comfortable so he asked his daughter. The speechless woman only merely nodded and that was how the two found themselves in the Abideen garden, outside.

The garden housed trees and more pot plants, some on the ground, some on tables and others hanging. There were creepers on the walls with round backyard lights, illuminating their path. Yusra knew her mother had renovated their garden recently.

"As salaamu alaikum," she turned to face the person whose voice still made her heart race. When she saw his blue-gray eyes, she smiled immediately. Yusra soon found herself being absorbed in them without much care. He knows I love them anyway.

"Yusra?" he tried again and she snapped out of her trance, blushing slightly. She rubbed her face with her hands and pout slightly. Stupid Yusra! Islah found this very endearing of his little kid. Yes, he still called her his little kid. He let out a chuckle and took a seat on the garden swing.

Yusra muttered a reply while taking a seat on the other swing, beside him. The swings were big enough to fit Yusra but Islah's physique was a little taller so his legs were sprawled in front of him. When Yusra saw this, she laughed.

"Your legs remind me of Danny Long Legs." She said and his eyes widened a fraction. His pulled his legs towards him in self conscious making her laugh more.

"My legs are not as long as a grasshopper okay!"

"Right." She muttered, laughter in her voice. Islah stared at her, smiling. He liked this side of her. She sobered a while later and they set in silence.