CHAPTER 29.

Chapter 29: The veins in your hands are more beautiful.

*

"Food is our common ground, a universal experience."

-James Beard-

*

"You cannot wear that!"

"But it's so aesthetic!"

"Aesthetic? It looks like a math textbook threw up on you! Go change!" Clearly Nasreen was not having any of Yusra's tantrums today. Yusra glared at her mother's retreating back before quickly looking down at her outfit before her mother turned to her. "Change Yusra! We leave in ten minutes, Wallahi!"

Yusra sighed and walked back to her room with a frown. My outfit does not look like a mathbook threw up on me! But then she realized she did look like it. With vertical white and black stripped long skirt and a white top that had lots of formula's over it, she did look like it. But she thought it was hippie. Huffing a sigh, she picked out another outfit.

Fifteen minutes (and a lot of yells from Nasreen) later, Yusra stepped out of the house in a rose pink colored maxi dress that had a thin belt at her waist and flowed down to her feet. About twenty centimeters before the end edge, a lace went around the flare of the dress from which fell down multiple frills. There was another row of lace a few centimetres below it too. Yusra liked the dress. Cute. I look cute. She had paired it with a darker shade of pink hijab.

"Ah the royal lady arrives," Nasreen taunted her for being late. Why is she in a hurry anyway?!

"Nasreen, lets go." Her father's voice was firm and Yusra smiled at him.

She got into her car and frowned when she realized she forgot her headphones back in the house. Guess I'll have to do without it. She waited for Maha and Abaan to get in. Once they did, she pulled the vehicle out of their compound. Random music played and Yusra hummed from time to time.

The family made it to Nahwan's house in fifteen minutes. Yusra glanced at Maha when the large iron gates opened automatically for them to drive in. Maha fidgeted in her seat. Yusra followed her father's vehicle and parked behind it, right behind three cars parked in a shed. One was empty though.

Maha gave her a small smile before getting off and Abaan followed her. She switched off the ignition and got off the car, taking her phone with her. Her mother and Maheen were already at the door of the house, where Benazir (Nahwan's mother) stood with Arsalan (his father).

As Yusra walked, she looked around the place. She was at awe by the size. It's not even a house, alright. It's a freaking mansion! Why is it so huge? Extended family maybe?

"Yusra!" her mother's voice called her and she sped-walked over to her. She said her salaams to Benazir who nodded at her before ushering them inside.

Five minutes into the house with Benazir, Yusra was convinced she could never survive here. It did not feel so homey to her.

"Being tea and snacks, please." Benazir told her maidens who nodded and rushed away. Yusra took a seat beside her father at their living room. She didn't know what to do or how to act. It's like everything it too expensive for me to touch. And perhaps they were. The Khans were one of the oldest and richest families of the city, their heir line dating back over 100 years. The ancestral Khan was one of the founders of the city's museums, being an archaeologist himself. Since then, the generations of the family have taken care of the largest museums of the country.