CHAPTER 1.

Chapter 1: Genius of the Year.

*

"She is water.

Soft enough 

to offer life. 

Tough enough 

to drown it away"

-Rupi Kaur- 

*

The gymnasium went silent save for the rapid tapping of the keyboards and mice. The people at the stands held their breaths as the students battled it out for the title of 2020 Computer Science Genius of the Year. Each year, the computer science department of Maccinhen University hold their annual computer science genius of the year whereby through a series of tests, students gain their ranking on the faculty website. These rankings are also seen as merits when they graduate.

The task was simple. You are given an hour to build your network security, defend it by all means and gain access into the main server, which was created by the founder. The main server changes each year automatically since it has multiple nodes around the world which makes it impossible to gain access beforehand.

For the past two years, an Arab-Turkish girl has been winning and today too, it seems that she would take away the trophy. Her bright green eyes were focused on the computer screen in front of her which displayed letters and numbers in white over a black screen. She tapped numerous keys at once, so fast that it was impossible to decipher what exactly was she typing. As she did so, multiple students either groaned in defeat or/and new things appeared on her screen.

Five or so professors walked around the stage, watching them. Students who were denied access stood up and walked out of the hall while the others continued to battle it out. The professors checked the time and announced that they had fifteen minutes left.

The Arab-Turkish eyes shone with delight as she tapped away. She knew she was getting somewhere. Just a little more, she thought. And bam. Bye. Her computer sounded again, with the words Access Granted flashing across the screen in bright neon green. The professors smiled at each other and walked over to her.

"Congratulations Miss. Yusra uz-Zaman" one of the older professors said, smiling at her. The Arab-Turkish girl grinned back at them before standing up and bowing slightly.

"Thank you, Professor Samual"

Other professors and students surrounded her with pride and joy.

"I knew you would do it" her fan base called out from the stands. She watched them all with a large smile. She saw banners and fans with her name on them, alongside words like Genius and Coding Queen. She laughed at the silly names they gave her but nonetheless, stood in pride.

I won.

"Yusra?" she looked away from her fan base to see her father, Professor Dawud Abideen standing at the end of the stage. She grinned at her father before rushing off to him. He engulfed her in a hug with a laugh. Professor Abideen was a man of few words but one was certain, he took pride in his daughter a lot. He had graying hairs and green eyes like Yusra and stood a little taller than the said girl.

"Congratulations my child" he told her and she nodded at him.

"Third year in a row" she told him and he smiled down at her in pride.

Soon they were called to take their seats as the official announcement began to start. The father and daughter duo walked to the front row and took their seats. Yusra's father was a Physics Professor at the same university while her mother was owned a boutique in the city. She happened to be their only and most pampered child.

"Ladies and gentlemen. First and foremost. Thank you so much for making it today to the Annual Computer Science Fest. 2020. Today is the last day and these past few days, the computer science students of ours have been battling it out for the trophy of Computer Science Genius of the Year. And it is with great honor I announce the winner at this platform. You all know her because since the day she stepped into the faculty, she won this trophy as her reminder to be the best. Third year in a row, ladies and gentlemen, please give a round of applause for Miss. Yusra Uz-Zaman!"

Yusra stood up and took steady steps towards the stage. She could hear the chanting of the crowd, the steadfast beat of her heart and the tapping of her white Adidas sneakers against the pavement. 3 years in a row, yet the feeling never changes. She inhaled a deep breath and grinned at the crowd. This is home. She stood in the middle of the stage as the Vice Chancellor of the school awarded her the medal and the trophy.

"Three years in a row. You really must be working hard" she told her and Yusra could only grin. Of course I was working hard. At eating. And watching movies. And other stuff.

"Thank you" she told the VC and after some photos, walked off the stage and resumed her seat. The program ended shortly and she walked out with her father.

"Since your two month break is here, what have you thought?" her father questioned her and she shrugged, playing with the edge of the medal that rested against her chest. Truth was, she had already applied for internship at A & X. Inc. But she was too nervous to say it out loud in the fear that it would be too real.

"I don't know. I could just stay at home" she shrugged and her father barked a laugh. As if my mother will let me stay at home. Wallahi, she would die before letting me do that.

"Your mother would probably get you married if you do that" her father joked but she knew there was some truth behind it and thus, she shivered.

"I am waiting for my reply from the companies I applied for. I want to get some insight before beginning my masters next semester" she told her father who frowned at her. The two were now out of the university gymnasium area and headed towards the Mathematics and Physics faculty rooms.

"You know you can take your studies slow, right habibti?" her father asked her and she looked at him with a smile. The wrinkles are visible. It's like he is growing older by second.

"I know baba. I know. It's just that....... I want to do it" she told him and her father placed an arm around her shoulders, leading her to his office. The Mathematics and physics faculty had white walls that were decorated with posters and what not about Mathematics and physics.

"If you want to then sure. I don't want you to overwork yourself" he told her and she sighed deeply. She leaned onto the wall beside her father's office door and waited for him to unlock it.

"I won't baba. I promise" she said, holding up three fingers of her in promise. Her father laughter and lightly tapped her hijab clad head.

"Fine. Are you heading home now?" he asked her and she grinned at him.

"I am going to A & X. Inc for testing. I mean I am one of their penetration testers" she told him and he nodded at her.

"Be careful on your way. Do not get lost and do not talk to strangers. If anything happens, call me" he told her and she rolled her eyes with a smile.

"Yes baba. I will do" she told him as he placed a kiss on her forehead. She handed her trophy to him to take it home before she picked up her bag from his office and bid him goodbye. Time to see what A & X. Inc holds for me. 

*****

As salaam alaikum my beautiful Panda's!! :) 

How are you guys? 

Thank you so much for the read, comments and votes for the previous chapter.

Stay safe and take care!

| R - C - V |

xx, 

-aalihha.