Chapter 4: I Never Wanted This Life

~Marinette~
"Marinette, don't be rude! Go mingle with the other guests." "Of course mother." I say and walk into the crowd.

I feel someone grab my wrist and drag me into a hallway. "Luka? What on Earth are you doing?" "We should talk about the wedding." "I suppose it's a proper time to talk about it. So, how do you suggest we get out of it?"

"You want to get out of the arrangement?" "Of course I do. Don't you?" "No. You know I'm in love with you Marinette." "Luka, I've told you before that I do not feel the same way. I'm truly sorry."

"Marinette! Where did that girl go?" I hear my mom shout.

"Over here mother!" "Oh good! You're with Luka. We're going to do the dance." "Right now? Shouldn't we eat first? I'm sure the guests are famished." "This is a ball not a dinner party. The guests have the hors d'oeuvres to indulge in. Now on with the dance."

"Of course your majesty. Would you give me the honor of this dance Your Highness?" Luka asks as he holds out his hand to me. "I'd be delighted to." I lie as I take his hand and we make our way to the dance floor.

"We'd like to introduce you to our future Queen, Her Royal Highness, Princess of France, Marinette Dupain-Cheng and her fiancé, His Royal Highness, Prince of Weselton, Luka Couffaine." The announcer says as we walk onto the ballroom floor.

~Adrien~
"So she's the one getting married?" I ask as I watch her dance with the Prince. "Sorry dude." "Okay they're gone now, so guess who's back." Princess Alya says as she walks to us.

"Your Highness-" "Oh please, just call me Alya. Your Highness is too formal." I nod. "So Alya, how long has the Princess been seeing Prince Luka?" "About a month, but she only found out about it a week ago. Oooh are those crab cakes?" She asks as she grabs one from of the tray.

"Ew no they're definitely not crab cakes." She says and spits it into a napkin. "Sorry. Don't tell anyone I did that." "I'll never snitch on you." Nino says as he stares at her. "Thank you?" She says awkwardly.

"Nino chill." I say and turn my attention back to Alya. "What do you mean she only found out about it a week ago?"

"It's an arranged marriage. In order for Marinette to take over the throne she needs to be married. Luka also needs to be married to become King of Weselton so both of their parents used this opportunity to betroth them to one another."

"So they don't have feelings for each other?" "Pfft and you told me to chill. Someone's jealousy is showing." Nino mumbles and Alya giggles. "As far as I know, Marinette feels nothing for him, but Luka is deeply in love with her."

~Marinette~
After the dance is over I make my over to Alya. "Al help me! I can't do this anymore." "Just remember it's for your people." "It's for my people, it's for my people, it's for my people..." I mumble to myself.

"If you don't want to do it why don't you tell your parents?" "It's not that simple Adrien." Alya says as I continue mumbling it to myself. "If she doesn't marry someone then France will be left without a ruler and it'll be easy for people to cause trouble here." She adds.

"Alya it's not working! I need Chloe! She always knows what to say." "She's not coming in until tomorrow." "Who's Chloe?" "Wow Adrien you really are living under a rock. Chloe is the Princess of Arendelle. She's-" Alya starts but Nino cuts her off.

"She's their other best friend. Princess Alya, Princess Marinette, and Princess Chloe are a trio. I told you about them remember?" "I zone out when you start talking about royalty." "Wow. I am hurt." Nino says dramatically with a hand on his chest.

"As am I." Alya jokes as she mocks Nino. I giggle and do the same. "Why must you hate us so much?" I tease. "I-" "I'm joking Adrien. I really don't mind being disliked." "No no! It's not that- I-" He stutters but Nino cuts him off.