Chapter 18: Folding Cards

GLaDOS was enjoying herself, or at least she thought she was. This human, this miserable human scum, had killed her. She should be ecstatic that she was dishing out payback. But something was nagging at her. Something was not quite right.

It didn't help that one of the doors had jammed without a very good reason. Debris had fallen into the gear mechanism, but it looked more like it had been shoved in there. It also didn't help that the debris in question was a bird egg. Birds made GLaDOS feel uncomfortable. They were strange, suspicious creatures.

GLaDOS shook her head. Enough of these silly thoughts. She would see this girl punished.

------

The first time Chell had seen Wheatly in a testing room, she couldn't believe her eyes. The tests had been slow and painful, and GLaDOS's insults did nothing to help.

But now she knew Wheatly was alive. Wheatly was going to get her out of here. Chell noticed she was almost done with this set of tests. She wondered if, when they were over, GLaDOS would try to bake her alive again.

Chell hesitantly walked into the room in which GLaDOS had promised a surprise. All she got was some confetti and a load of insults. Sighing, Chell continued with the tests.

Finally, she was at the penultimate chamber. However, a quick glance around told her that there was something wrong with this chamber. It was impossible.

Then, a crackle broke the silence. Wheatly had arrived.

"Hey!" he called. Chell smiled. It was time to go. Then all heck broke loose.