Chapter 7: Broken GLaSS

The tester trembled with anger. She had tried to be nice. But no. She was done being polite. It was time to terminate this problem.

No, she told herself. She had to stick to the rules. What would this do to Aperture's reputation? The girl was obviously breaching protocol, but two wrongs didn't make a right.

What would she do? What could she do?

-------

Chell was beginning to lose it. The offices were empty. No one was around. Even the radio's she found were stuck on that endless jingle. She had to find out what had happened. The person monitoring her now outright threatened to kill her, and Chell wondered if she had anything to do with the lack of people.

She walked into an observation room. Another room, a sort of lab, was separated by a glass wall. With nothing else to do, she pressed a button.

She looked up as a whirring sound began. Some sort of intelligence core was mounted on the stand. Chell watched the blue laser it emitted move across the room and find her. Click. Chell ducked as a rocket shattered the glass and exploded where she had been standing moments before. She was dealing with a rocket turret.

Quickly portaling behind the turret, she slipped into a door. She was back in a tube cell. Boxes shot through it. In the corner, there was a small opening. Chell noticed the artist's scrawling. If only she could reach up there.

She thought back to the Companion Cube test. She needed one of the storage cubes to give her a boost, but those tubes were made of bulletproof glass... but not rocket proof glass!

She placed the a portal in the floor under the tube. The target laser pointed at the tube. Chell leaned over the opening, and the turret locked. She fell back as a missile shattered the tube. She closed the portal and grabbed the cube.

As she crawled through the space, she noticed more arrows. Where was this person leading her? Suddenly she tumbled out. She was under a grate. She got out, then took in her surroundings. She was in some large chamber. She lifted up her portal device, looking for somewhere to go. Then several walls started to open. A red laser protruded from every one. High pitched voices called out.

Turrets.

They were everywhere.