Chapter 21: Vitrification Order

Chell awoke with a start. The past moments had been a blur. She had tumbled down a long shaft for some time. She wasn't sure how long. She looked around. GLaDOS was gone. She was in the junkyard of Aperture Science. The very bottom level. She had to get back to the surface. Her previous plan of escape had landed her in deeper trouble. Literally.

She walked along a platform. Employees had to come down here every now and then. They had some way of getting back to the top. A heavy door lay at the end of the platform. It was locked, much to Chell's dismay. She pushed on it. The keypad had rusted, and the door was too heavy to knock off its hinges.

Chell sunk to the ground in despair. Something white white caught her eye. Through a hole in a crumbling wall, a portal space waved at her. She jumped up and portaled into the room. She now faced a single door with a condemned sign. For Aperture to label part of one of their facilities as condemned and seal it off must have meant it was very dangerous. Chell walked in.

A large hatch loomed in front of her. She pressed the open button, then instantly regretted it as alarms rang out. The hatch opened slowly, revealing the silhouette of something big. Then the lights flicked on, and Chell realized it was another door. All right, so Aperture really didn't want anyone in here. Chell pushed open the door.

She saw a large, old-fashioned Aperture sign hanging from the ceiling. A reception area was overhead. She'd have to portal up to it. Without warning, a voiceover came on. Chell stopped. She couldn't believe it. It was Cave Johnson, the founder of Aperture Science. She was in the original wing of the building from the seventies. If her calculations were correct, these tests were now about fifty years old. And that was if the extended relaxation session had ended at the mandatory twenty years.

So Chell had just stumbled upon the most dangerous part of a subterranean labyrinth of full of dangers. Great. She'd take it over staying in Aperture any day.