Chapter 2: There She Is

Chell stepped off the moving scaffold and into the next part of chamber 15. This test had been somewhat challenging, but Chell had solved it in quickly. As she placed the final portal and headed toward the exit, yet another message started, this one promising cake at the end of the testing. Chell had heard one of the employees made a really good black forest cake.

She stepped out of the elevator at its next stop. The droning voice once again cracked over the intercom, this time stating that due to maintenance problems, the next test had been replaced with a live fire course. Chell pondered the meaning of this as she stepped into the door to the chamber. She froze when she heard the call of childlike voices.

Turrets.

Aperture Science's first big success. The security androids that put Aperture Science on the map and got the company a military contract. Extremely precise and deadly. And Chell was in a room full of them.

Calming herself, she snuck a glance around the wall. The turret was a sleek, white, elliptical core fit into a tripod. Chell had seen this model in labs, but she hadn't seen them in commission until now. Chell fired a portal behind the turret, then rushed forward into her other portal and seized the turret using her gun's grabbing tool. "Who are you?" it cried out. Shocked, Chell released it, sending it clattering to the ground. The turret released one last volley of bullets, before shutting down with an eerie "Why?" Chell shivered, then moved on.

Chell moved through the test chamber, dispatching several more of the deadly robots. Finally, she was met with a problem. A hallway led to the next part of the test, with a turret posted at each end. There were no portal spaces anywhere. Chell decided she would just have to make a run for it.

Chell charged ahead, then suddenly heard a voice call out "There you are!" A wave a bullets shot from both ends of the hallway, and Chell heard a crunch of bone. She cried out, and fell back behind the bullet proof glass.

Chell began to whimper as panic set in. She had been doing these tests too long. She began hyperventilating, even sobbing, when something caught her eye.

A panel had not completely closed, leaving a maintenance room accessible. Chell crawled in, discovering scattered boxes and several scribbles on the wall. Some artist had drawn all sorts of weird pictures and scribbled several times the cake is a lie. Chell stared at the wall when she stopped on some sort of diagram showing how to defeat the turrets. Chell smiled, and weakly hefted up a storage cube.