Chapter 5: 4,000 Degrees Kelvin

Chell stared at the glowing white sign. Test Chamber 19. It was almost over. What a shame it would be to die here, right when the end was in sight. She moved into the chamber.

After gingerly stepping on to the moving scaffold, she placed a portal behind the cracked door and met the platform on the other side. A large sign pointing toward cake hung on the wall.

-------

The tester watched with excitement. It seemed like it had been forever since someone had completed the entire course. Then again, this was the first trained test subject to do it in a long time. The Aperture employees could design test chambers, but they sure couldn't navigate them.

------

Chell watched the furnace approach. The monotone voice assured her that the platform would remain functional in the heat. That calmed her.

Until she realized the scaffold was moving into the fire.

Thinking quickly, she portaled over to a ledge. As she lay on her back, breathing hard, the voice came on again. At first it sounded panicky, but it soon quieted. It told her that this was simply another test and that she was supposed to dispose of her portal gun and wait for an escort to take her to a party in her honor.

Yes. That was very believable.

Chell looked put to see the ventilation system. She was going to get out of here. She was going to find out what was going on. And she was not planning on attending a party of any sort.