Chapter 3: Insert Name Here

The turret had no idea what hit it as a weighted storage cube nailed its sad little input core. The tester smiled inwardly. She hated these robots. She watched as the test subject limped into the next room, only to discover more turrets and more cubes. And just to be nice, the tester had thrown in a radio, playing an infinite loop of the annoyingly catchy jingle some Aperture employee had invented a long time ago. Someone really needed to put some words to it some day.

The tester watched as the girl stood in front of an opening door, then leapt sideways to avoid another spray of bullets. The tester noticed the young woman grimace upon landing on her wounded leg. The tester would have been disappointed for the girl to die from a wound; she was almost too brilliant to be expendable. Almost. How the test subject had overcome pain to solve the test the tester had not the slightest idea.

But no matter. The girl limped to the chamberlock, and the tester switched on the intercom. This was no message for the woman, this was a threat to keep the androids in line. She smiled grimly. The tester loved terrorizing the pathetic androids. She watched the girl slump against the walls of the elevator, then pressed a button. A hypodermic needle poked the girl, knocking her unconscious.

The tester realized the girl was getting anxious. Maybe even delusional. She needed to be snapped back into reality. Of course! The next scheduled test was test chamber 17. The tester grinned. Oh, that would wake her up all right. And then, they could continue with the testing.