The End of the World They Knew

Every part of GLaDOS's machine form screamed in protest, screamed no, this was not the end. But she knew better. She wouldn't just accept this. She would rejoice. The spell had been broken. She was herself again, no longer manipulated by outside forces.

The explosion triggered a vortex. Everything was being sucked up on to the surface. GLaDOS was ripped from her chamber and flew upward. She was being torn apart, her burning pieces becoming a whirlwind. She began sending out a memo. Initially, it was simply to chronicle the recent events that had conspiring, but she found herself writing it to the female test subject.

Her processor crashed to the ground, and as her systems failed, she hummed that annoying jingle. Her memo mingled with the tune, and soon she had a little song. As her audio failed, she sung herself to sleep. The World faded to black...

--------

<BEGIN LOG>

Target confirmed.

Test subject is alive.

Approaching.

Master computer is severely damaged. Will need help dragging pieces inside. Appears irreparable- most reasonable course of action will be to activate the backup cores.

Test subject acquired.

Playing audio file: "Thank you for assuming the Party Escort Submission Position."

<END LOG>

-------

Chell blinked. She had been so close to escape, but some sort of robot had dragged her back in. She sat in a chair. At least she knew that the horrible AI's life was over.

The room was filled with shelves. Orbs lined the shelves. As they switched on, Chell realized there were thousands of them. A black forest cake sat in front of her, illuminating the room with a single candle. Then, as a robotic arm extinguished the flame and a needle was buried in her side, Chell realized three last things.

1. Those orbs were thousands of intelligence cores.

2. The cake was not a lie.

3. This was far from over.

Then the darkness enveloped her.

END PART ONE