Chapter 11: Memories

Wheatly was bored. As he slid along his rail, he reflected in what had happened to him lately. The robot was an Aperture Science core, designed with artificial intelligence to perform certain tasks.

Wheatly didn't like to talk about his past. He was loud and extroverted, but many thought him to be just a bumbling idiot. He hated words like that.

He had no idea how long he had been deactivated, but it was a harsh awakening. The party escort bots were cruel masters, assigning them all jobs and enforcing their self imposed rules. Wheatly had been assigned to look over the test subjects in the extended relaxation vault.

At least, Wheatly thought, she's dead. Wheatly hated the robot known as GLaDOS. Ironically, now that she was gone, he had other things to worry about. Older cores were corrupting all the time, and when they did, they were thrown into the containment room.

Even worse, the cores had to keep on doing their job in the containment room. The ones that corrupted normally just babbled on about one thing.

Wheatly had some friends, though. His main one was a core named Rick, who specialized in weapons construction and repair. The two of them were also on good relations with a purple eyed core who kept track of Aperture's data. Wheatly had it pretty well.

But time passed. The cores spent more time in their jobs. The party escorts began breaking down. According to stories, the surviving ones had wandered off and gotten lost, their ghosts now haunting the laboratory. Wheatly lost track of Rick. He isolated himself.

One day, long after Wheatly had stopped keeping track of the time, he decided he was done. He felt as if he was going to go crazy if he didn't do something. He was going to get out of here. He was going to escape.