Chapter 9: Even Though You Broke My Heart

The tester looked down at the subject. Her very being shook with anger. She was losing control. Turmoil reigned. She felt her heart break.

-------

Chell stood in front of the colossal AI. It must have been what was testing her. It complained that she had broken its heart and caused enough damage for the day. Chell didn't believe that. How could something sound so monotone and be so robotic but still have a heart.

Suddenly, after appearing to blow a fuse, a small orb popped off.

The robot denied knowing what it was and told her to put it down. Spotting an incinerator in the corner of the room, she activated and walked over. She stared at the orb, it's purple eye looking sad. Chell apologized silently, then threw the mini robot into the flames. She hoped losing the part would break this psychotic monster. It did not.

-------

The tester tried to scream at the girl, but her form thrashed around. She couldn't stay in control. Then came the memories.

-------

Chell ducked for cover as sparks flew. She grabbed a pole, recognizing the acronym on a sign too late. The name of the failed experiment. GLaDOS.

------

GLaDOS remembered. She was not some robot employee of the lab. She was the lab. She was Aperture Science. And it was time for this girl to die.