Chapter 27: The Itch

Wheatly shuddered in excitement.

"All right, an exit, exit," he muttered to himself, then remembered that he was the test chamber. He pulled apart a wall and placed an exit at the end. He couldn't describe his newfound urge to test as anything other than an itch. It must have been how Aperture Science had kept GLaDOS in control after the Great Bring Your Child to Work Day Fiasco. If her entire being was focused on testing, she would forget about killing people.

Wheatly had found it annoying at first, but he had come to love this urge. It had introduced him to the joys of testing. And now, with his newest discovery, he could test forever. GLaDOS, with this one idea, had created an infinite supply of tests, at least in a sense. If the two subject didn't stay dead, it worked the same way.

"Yes, just keep watching," he told the two forms intently studying Chell. The girl was interesting to watch, but she was becoming a nuisance. He would take care of her.

Speaking of nuisances, the constant nagging of the computer was on that list. Wheatly knew the core needed fixing, but he had to test first, fix later.

Suddenly, his video screen beeped with an incoming message. It was Rick.

"Congratulations on the promotion, Wheatly!" said the green eyed core.

"Thanks, friend," replied Wheatly.

"The girl make out okay?" asked Rick.

"Yeah," lied Wheatly. "She took the back exit."

"Always loved that back exit," chuckled Rick. "Gotta give Mr. Johnson some credit for that one. What happened to GLaDOS?"

"She's still out there," said Wheatly.

"You can't win 'em all," stated Rick. "Hey, maybe, just in case, you should rig the stalemate button."

"Okay, but just in case," affirmed Wheatly. Genius, thought Wheatly. I am a genius.

"Take care, Wheatly," said Rick.

"You too Rick," said Wheatly, and signed off. The good part was about to happen.