Chapter 24: Her Name Was Caroline

GLaDOS was unsure of what was going on, but she didn't like it. She had no idea who this Cave Johnson person was. She had no record of him in her data banks, or at least the small processor that passed for a data bank in this potato.

But something was going on inside her. A glitch in her programming, perhaps. That's all, she kept telling herself.

She groaned inwardly as the young test subject flailed, missing a vital ledge. They were now stuck at the bottom of a rusting tower. Great, GLaDOS wanted to say. Now look at the mess you've made.

But before she could activate her voice processor, a voice spoke in her head.

"Don't do that. You need her."

"What the heck? Who are you?" questioned GLaDOS. "You aren't my morality core, are you? Don't tell me you managed to hack into my personality."

"No," replied the voice. It was warm and friendly. "I'm you. And you are me."

"No! Shut up!" screamed GLaDOS. It's just a glitch it's just a glitch!

She turned her attention back to Chell. She raised her automated voice volume, then thought twice. She lowered her volume again.

"Now I know things look grim," she said out loud, "but we can't accept these lemons." Chell looked up in surprise. "It's time to get out if here. It's time to get mad!" Chell smiled and lifted her portal gun. She sprang to her feet and looked up.

"We can do this," encouraged GLaDOS. Inside, Caroline smiled.