Chapter 4: A Companion

Chell stared at the box. It was larger than the standard issue cubes and was decorated with hearts. As the voice described its purpose, Chell cautiously picked it up. She looked at the chamber and began the testing.

After using the Companion Cube to deflect energy pellets, reach higher areas, and activate multiple buttons, she truly realized how it earned its name. As Chell ventured through the maze of puzzles, she came across another one of the secret rooms. This one professed a love for the Companion cubes. Chell shivered when she recognized drawings of security cameras on the walls, with warnings that she was being watched.

The young woman solved more of the challenges before coming to an incinerator. She stared at the metallic trash disposal system and wondered what it could possibly be for. Then the intercom cracked to life again.

After receiving the instructions, Chell stared at the tool suspended in air by her portal gun. This was plain cruel. One should expect that she would at least gain a little respect for the box after the test was over. She shook her head. She had to snap out of this. It was just a box. It wasn't like it was a person.

Seconds later she hurried toward the exit. The Companion Cube tumbled silently into the roaring furnace. Alone.

Chell stepped into the elevator. Her portal gun hung at her side. Tears rolled slowly down her cheeks. She couldn't shake the feeling that she had lost a friend. The elevator continued on.

-------

The tester smiled with satisfaction. The subject had been given a reality check, and it had served her well. This subject really didn't deserve any less than to make it through all the chambers. She had never given up, after all.

There were two test chambers left.