24.

Kaycee's POV

Unfortunately, our exciting weekend came to an end and our work week started. I was on Brown's cases now, we had all moved to our specialty but still saw each other a good amount during the day. Today was going to be a big day towards advancing in my career, I was going to be conducting a Craniotomy on my own.

My surgery wasn't until later so I did some rounds and said hi to Ash in my spare time. Of course, I stopped in on Bailey

" I'm back," I said smiling through the door

" Ugh!" she joked

" Oh please you know you love me" I smiled

" Only for the ice cream"

I rolled my eyes and pulled out a chair

" Oh My god! I almost forgot I got you something!" she said opening the draw next to her bed

Out of it, she pulled a necklace with a cartoon-looking brain on it.

" I said it on amazon and I just had to get it" she laughed

" it's so geeky I love it," I said taking the necklace and putting it on myself.

" Thank you," I said pulling her into a hug

I had to leave soon after to start prepping for surgery, I could feel the adrenaline running through my body. I wasn't nervous, I wasn't scared, I was excited to make a difference in someone's life, to help treat them during hard times.

The surgery took about 3 hours and thankfully went perfectly. The patient was sent to recovery and I went and scrubbed out. I made my way into Ashton's office. He shared it with Dr. Jones the head of the Trauma department, he was planning on retiring soon and leaving the position to Ash. I opened the door and wordlessly crashed onto the couch Ash laughed from behind the computer.

" Hello to you too sunshine!"

I just mumbled back in response.

" Was the surgery successful?"

" Yup, patients in recovery, doctors taking a nap." I said laughing at my own joke

He covered me with a blanket and went back to his computer before I took my nap.

My pager going off shook me out of my sleep and back into reality. Ash must have left since the office was empty, I folded up the blanket and left to see Dr. Brown.

" You paged?" I asked walking into his office

" Yes, come sit Kaycee" he said motioning to a chair in front of his desk

" I wanted to congratulate you on your first solo neuro surgery, it went very well"

" Oh, yes thank you doctor" I smiled

" I also had another proposal for you"

" yes?"

" I was offered a job interview for a hospital in New York, they have a very advanced Neuro wing, so next week I will traveling for the interview. I was wondering if you could cover for my position while I am away. Take care of my patients, it shouldn't be very difficult I have pushed all my schedules surgeries. Would you be up to the challenge?"

I was speechless this was such a great opportunity for me, and if I did well he might even recommend me to replace him.

" Oh my gosh, yes sir of course! Thank you for the opportunity I won't mess it up" I smiled

" Thank you, now could you bring Bailey back to her room her chemo should be about over now"

" Yes of course." I said leaving quickly

I excited his office and jumped outside the hallway

" Yes! Yes! Yes! Heck yea!"

Calum stood there watching me celebrate

" Should I ask or is this a private moment?...."

" Haha. Brown asked me to cover him for a week" I smiled

" Wow congrats Kay!"

" How's general going? Got any solos?" I asked him

Calum was doing general surgery for his speciality, Micheal with pediatric together we almost made all the major specialties.

" Yup! Did three already today"

" Damn, I see you" I joked

" Well, gotta run see you at home" I said turning away and walking to get Bailey.

I quickly went down to the cafeteria to grab her usual ice cream and headed up to get her.

" Bonjour girly" I smiled

" Bonjour!" she smiled

I handed her the ice cream and a spoon before wheeling her towards her room.

" Your the best" she said opening the lid

" I know"

" Guess who's covering for Brown all of next week"

" No way!"

" Yup! So i'll be your primary doctor"

" Oh god" she laughed

" Hey! i'm not that bad"

" Eh"

I wheeled her back into her room and she climbed back into bed. I took her basic vitals and wrote them into her chart.

" You know the drill any symptoms yet?"

" Just a little dizzy, not much else"

" Okay, I'm going to give you some meds for that and a relaxer so you can get some sleep"

I injected the meds into her IV while there was a knock on the door. I looked at her in confusion and went to open it.

" It's a boy" I said opening it and letting him in

" Uh, Hi i'm Logan Bailey said I could come."

" Bailey?"

" What he's nice and he's admitted here too he has Leukemia so technically he's not a visitor"

I sighed but gave in and let her friend in the room.

" You better be sleeping by the time I get back tho" I said pointing to her

" Nice to meet you Logan"

And with that I left the room, he seemed nice I think Micheal was talking about his case a few nights ago. She deserved to have some friends with her during her stay here. Even staying here just for work I knew this place could be very boring, I couldn't imagine how crazy she was going.