28.

Kaycee's POV 

" What?" Ashton looked at me as I stared at him, hearing the rain bounce off the roof

Just before I could respond a nurse paged me for Bailey's CT scan results. I made yee contact with Ash again and zipped out of the room. I hoped to god my suspicions were false that I was jumping to conclusions. She was just having a bad chemo reaction, or something anything other than this. 

" Kay, what is going on" he shouted following me down the hallway. 

I was met by the usual receptionist as I panicked 

" Dr. Evans, CT scan results please," I said quickly 

" Of course here you are Doctor" she smiled back 

I opened the white-colored folder looking at the pages. I could see Ashton waiting for a response out of the corner of my eye. 

" Why'd I have to be right?" I looked at Ashton 

His eyes softened and he came over towards me looking at the scans in front of us. 

" Is that-"

I cut him off 

" Brain Hemmimage," I said taking a shaky breath 

" Book an OR stat, page Micheal, and have you both scrub in I'll meet you there" taking charge of the situation 

He nodded and raced down the hallway getting Micheal, I went in the opposite direction and straight into Bailey's room. The weather outside seemed to escalate as time went on but I was way too focused to notice. 

I prepped an IV line and gave her some pain relief. She was still unconscious, so I had to put up her hair and cover it with a net. Once I finished prepping her with the help of a kind nurse, I thanked her and headed for the elevator. 

My phone rang in my pocket, I saw a goofy picture of Ashton I had taken during our mini-golf date causing me to pick it up. 

" Kay, we are in OR 3 all prepped and ready with Micheal, an anesthesiologist, and of course nurses. Is she all ready?

" Yeah, we are in the elevator now-" 

Before I could even finish my sentence the elevator stopped and all the lights flashed off leaving me in the dark. 

" Ash" I said scared hoping he could hear me

" Ash! Hello?" I panicked into my phone 

A few seconds went by before he spoke again 

" Kaycee! Are you okay?" 

He asked 

" no, the elevator stopped the lights are off" 

" The storm cut off the power, the backup generators clicked on up here. Are you moving again yet?" 

" no, we're stuck," I said looking around for something to help us 

" Okay stay calm and don't hang up" 

" Me and all the OR staff are on our way towards you, try to open the door to see how far you are from the closest floor" 

" Okay" I placed my phone on speaker and put it on the floor near me as I looked at the small opening between the metal doors. I placed my hands beneath them attempting to pull them apart, I pulled them open about a foot and saw the 3rd floor only about 7 feet above us. 

" I got it open a bit, the 3rd floor is above us" 

A few minutes later a rush of OR staff came into view of the gap giving me a bit of relief. 

" Kaycee, are you hurt?" Micheal asked me immediately 

" no, no I'm fine no injuries from the stop for either of us." 

" Is the whole hospital out? " I asked 

" Yup, running on backup generators for everything" 

" Sit tight Kay, we're getting help" Ashton said bending down to the floor so I could see him.