Bonus Snippets | Rain

Eid Mubarak!

The Mumbai rains had always been the sign of problems for Anika

The Mumbai rains had always been the sign of problems for Anika. She sipped the milk from her cup remembering how she used to have sleepless nights when it rained. From changing the fast filling buckets due to a leaking ceiling, to making sure the windows weren't left open. 

But today, was different. She didn't have to be worried about anything. She kept her, now empty cup aside by the wall and got up from the steps. She stretched her arm outward, feeling the droplets on her palm. 

Mallika had said that rain was supposed to be felt. That the rain would feel different, if one was in love. She closed her eyes, feeling the droplets. She pulled her hand back. They were just cold drops. She felt nothing different. Maybe rains were just not her thing. She didn't feel anything despite the fact that she was in love. Either she was the odd one out or the film industry was to be blamed for messing around with the brains of people.

"Anika, come inside, else you'll fall sick!" She heard his voice. She rolled her eyes. She had grown up getting drenched in downpours. Her immune system could deal with this. There wasn't a monsoon that had gone by without days where she was soaked head to toe. 

Anika picked up the cup, stepped inside the room and closed the sliding door. Her immune system could take the cold. But her husband would be sneezing in the next ten minutes if she didn't shut the door. She hummed to herself, picking up his empty cup from the table. She glanced at him. His attention was totally captured by his laptop screen.

Smiling and humming to herself she quickly took the tray with the empty cups down. She smiled when she spotted Rudra in the kitchen.

"Look who is here!" She asked, walking in.

"Right time Bhabhi! I made cupcakes!"

"Wow!" Anika remarked, her face lighting up. Baking was Rudra's newfound hobby. This new interest of his, had been driven by one silly argument that had taken a place around three weeks back, whose conclusion was Rudra was the Oberoi with the poorest skill at cooking. So he had set out to outshine in the department of baking. Everyone at home knew, the end products were his tools to win the hearts of more girls at office.

Anika wondered,  if he missed Saumya. He never spoke of her. She didn't know what exactly had transpired between the two of them. But after their marriage had been called off a day prior to the ceremony, four months back, Rudra never spoke about it or Saumya. 

"This is good!" Anika remarked biting into one.

"Bhabhi, I am planning of starting a bakery."

"Good luck, convincing Shivaay!"

Rural snorted, "Plan dropped already!"

They both chuckled, giving each other a hi-fi.

"What's cooking?"