Chapter 32: Peter Pan Starts Anew

"I've disposed of those evidences against Peter, now that I know it was Skul who planted them. The stuff piled up against Skul was of more importance, anyway. As of now, Peter's been labeled the victim after what happened. I suggest you keep a low profile for now. Things shouldn't turn against him as of now, he's a mere phantom. They weren't many on his case to begin with," James explained as they walked through the corridor.

The eyes of inmates followed Gwen, causing goosebumps to prickle her skin. They walked deeper, still into a more securely guarded section.

"They will soon hold his trial. Thanks to your information, we figured the best way to keep him from breaking out was to make sure he has no eye contact. His hypnosis is quite terrifying," James said warily.

After several security checks they entered a corridor with several rooms walled completely, like an asylum. The guard who followed them in knocked on one door and informed the inmate he had a visitor.

"The guard will keep watch. You've got ten minutes," James informed, then with a clap on her shoulder and a worried look, he left.

Gwen took a deep breath and leaned against the wall to the cell.

"How does it feel, Gwendy Larson, to exceed humanity?" Came a voice from the beyond the wall.

She rubbed her palms together. Occasionally she would feel the strange energy humming beneath her skin. Sometimes, she would become ultra-sensitive to everything around her. These episodes came in glimpses. Peter assumed her body was adapting. Soon those feelings would become permanent. At the very least, she had Peter there to support and guide her. Once, she accidentally cut her finger. Instead of hurting, it burned intensely for a few seconds before the wound vanished completely.

"It feels... different. Tell me, Skul. Why did you do it?" Gwen asked. It was not accusatory, it was a genuine question.

Skul gave a thoughtful pause, before slowly explaining, as if he were talking to a child. For a man in jail, he was too calm and collected.

"You see, PXDST was originally a cancer study. My parents and grandparents were all victims of cancer. It was genetic. Mind you, I didn't care too much about them or their deaths. What concerned my young self, was of the utter hopelessness and weakness of the human body. I was next. I knew that much. Erratic cell growth would kill me, just as it did my family.

"With a truly selfish drive, I started the venture. But once we hit the jackpot, I knew I simply could not stop there. Yes, I revolutionized cancer treatment, I saved myself for the ghastly disease. But it isn't just cancer killing the apex predator off the planet." Skul paused for a moment.

Gwen shifted as she heard his story. Skul started this to cure himself from cancer, now turned it into a superhuman project. Once you started, she guessed it was truly hard to stop, to pull yourself out of such possibilities. He lost his sanity along the way, turned into a murderer. Of course, he did not see himself in such a light.

"Gwendy, PXDST has changed you, down to your molecular structures. I know you can feel it... You are no longer human."

Gwen felt a chill up her spine. Her body throbbed with that strange energy once again. He was right. She could feel it. The world was looking different in her eyes, enhanced.

"Because, dear Gwendy, I can feel it too. This is only the beginning. You have voluntarily joined my journey," he spoke, as if the cell would not contain him for long. He did not look the least bit demotivated. He had a plan.

"You are behind a sealed cell, and your trial might just get you executed," Gwen retorted.

Skul barked out a laugh. "You believe such an execution would be the end of me? Ahh, child, quite naïve of you to think you haven't been dancing to my tunes."