Chapter 33: Wendy's Warm Touch

Peter told himself he would not see her that night.

He leaned back against the sturdy tree bark, studying the movements beyond the window of the boy he had been eyeing for a couple of days. Lights were switched off for a moment and silence blanketed the entire house.

Johnny Wang, was a fourteen-year-old child prodigy, winner of multiple decathlons, spelling bees, and studying for university entrance exams despite his age. People called him a genius. Only Johnny never wanted the title. He lived with his stepmom and father, who only saw him as a key to fame and success, parents who pushed to be better, smarter and greater. Johnny just wanted to be Johnny. He wanted to be free of the pressure.

Despite the darkness, a single table lamp flickered on. Johnny was doing his revisions. The boy hardly took a break. Peter swung himself over and landed perfectly on his windowsill. His window was unlocked. Peter pushed it open ever so gently, letting the wind do the rest. Johnny walked over to the open window, only to see someone waiting for him.

"Who are you? Leave now or I'm calling the cops," he said. Johnny was a straightforward boy. Peter found it amusing.

Peter chuckled. "Relax, Johnny. I'm a friend," he said, staring into his eyes. Johnny felt compelled to listen.

"It's late... What are you doing?" Peter asked. Johnny sighed and turned to the books on his desk.

"I have to study. I can't let my parents down. Prelims are tomorrow," he replied.

"Aren't you tired of living like this?" Peter asked.

"Yes... Who wouldn't be? I never asked for all this. All I want is to go to school like the other kids. My parents don't care about what I think!" Johnny did not feel strange letting his, usually hidden, feelings out to this stranger, like he unscrewed a tap, his thoughts flowed out like water.

"Do you want to be free?" Peter questioned. Johnny eyed him with curiosity.

"Of course, but what can you do about it?" he asked.

Peter smiled. "I call myself Peter Pan. My sole purpose is to make kids like you enjoy the freedom you've been abstained from," he said.

Johnny arched a brow in confusion, "Peter Pan...?" Peter only smiled in return.

"Well, then what are you going to do? Help me run away?" Johnny asked.

"Better. I'll take you to Neverland." Johnny burst out laughing, something he had not done in a long time.

"You're funny. Great let's go to Neverland," he said, joking. Peter stood up and stepped backwards till he was off the windowsill. Johnny widened his eyes.

"You're flying!" the gears of his genius head were moving, trying to figure out how it was scientifically possible.

"You can too," Peter said, with an outstretched hand.

Johnny stared at it in contemplation. However, Peter knew his hypnotic negotiations were irresistible. Johnny took his hand. He brought him onto the windowsill. Peter stared down at hard, concrete porch and narrowed his eyes. At the worst timing, Wendy's words replayed in his head.

"Every single one of those children... Could be saved."

"You're wrong. I could've helped her. I was just too late."

"I can help you."

Peter pinched the bridge of his nose. Wendy caused him a headache. Johnny tugged his hands. He turned to the boy standing nervously at the windowsill, Peter's hypnosis had broken contact.