Chapter 8: Peter Pan Is Not Who He Seems

Any sane person would think Gwen was crazy, sitting at a desk in the library, with a ton of books on fairytales, or specifically Peter Pan. She skimmed through the last of her stack and sighed. It was all the same. The public library was not packed with people. She walked back to the shelf to pick out another book. She grunted in frustration.

This was not getting her anywhere.

"Girl, if you can't find what you're looking for, you might as well surf the internet. Not turn the library inside out," the cranky librarian, arranging books on the shelves, said to her. She knocked her head on the shelf. Boy, was she an idiot?

The last twenty-four hours must have messed her up real good, to forget the function of the internet. To top it all off, she did not have her dose of coffee. The floor had the pleasure of drinking it up for her. With a frustrated grunt, she made her way to the computers in the library.

Googling, the true story of Peter Pan, it was not surprising to see tons of links pop up. Again she felt like slapping herself. She looked up various articles and pages and came across a story unlike any of the others.

Peter Pan: The Children's Angel

The children's angel? Gwen began reading the story, a tale of Peter Pan she had never heard of before.

Instead of the usual tale of Peter Pan, we grew up with. A controversial tale exists regarding the boy who never grew up.

Many have interpreted the story of Peter Pan as a magical boy and the land of Neverland as a fantasy world that allowed us to never age. However, another theory based on J. M. Barrie's tale had sprouted. The author himself wrote various subliminal messages within the story of Peter Pan.
Thus, the theory of Peter Pan as a child's angel came about. Instead of guiding the children themselves to Neverland, he guided their souls to heaven, which he claims to be Neverland, a world where the child will never grow up. Never grow up, as they were already dead.

Gwen furrowed her brows. This was getting peculiar, the gears in her mind began to turn. Everything was starting to make sense.

As heartwarming as it may sound, for an angel to guide souls to heaven, a twist exists in this dark tale. Some say, that when Peter Pan ushers the children to jump off their windows and have faith and trust to fly, he is tricking them into falling to their deaths.

Gwen paused reading to release a breath she did not know she was holding.

Therefore, by killing the children, their souls fly into the air, alongside Peter Pan, as he guides them to Neverland. However, even so Peter Pan was regarded a saviour rather than a killer, as they said he freed the children from their sufferings. A term more suitable is mercy killing. The theory rose many controversial issues as it went against ethics and morale. So the mystery remains on whether J.M. Barrie wrote a tale of a fantasy, or bitter reality.

Gwen breathed deeply before allowing her thoughts to arrange themselves. It made sense now. The killer on the loose was reenacting this dark tale of Peter Pan, by manipulating the children to commit suicide. The man was a psychopath!

Her urge to catch him was even stronger than before. How dare he manipulate Anna into committing suicide. He played her sister into her demise by a psychopath. She had to put an end to his reign of terror. The police would never listen. They closed the cases all too soon. But why?

She pulled out her notebook from her bag and went through her notes on the cases. She tried to find a connection between the victims. The most obvious, was that most of them were from orphanages or foster homes. Was that why the police dismissed the cases? Because no one bothered to pursue the case regarding them. Were these orphans considered expendable?

She remembered trying her best to purse Anna's case. Her aunt held her back. The police ignored. Two years, and still no justice. Gwen cringed at the thought. This made the police officers as horrible as the killer himself. She shut down the computer and grabbed her bag. She exited the library and made her way to her car. Before starting up the engine she made an oath to herself.

"I will find you, Peter Pan. And I will stop you, even if it's the last thing I'll do."