Chapter 2: Peter Pan Did It Again

Sarah Pietro, age 9, has been found dead at the doorstep of Aumburn Orphanage. Forensics has confirmed that the child committed suicide due to psychological disorders. The owners of Aumburn Orphanage are being interrogated for further information.

It seemed that; the child jumped off her window on the third floor. The impact inflicted severe brain damage, causing immediate death.

"The child was smiling, indicating it was her own intentions to kill herself," says the forensic officers at the site.

It has been said that this suicide is coincidental and not related to any other cases. Further investigations-

The television blinked off. Holding the remote in her hand, Gwendy Larson let out a frustrated sigh.

"Another one, that jumped out of her window, and they say it's a coincidence? Gimme a break," she said to no one in particular.

She left the remote on the small coffee table and made her way out of the living room. She walked into her bedroom, which was behind one of the two closed doors next to the kitchen. Slamming the doors shut, she rushed to her laptop that was on a messy desk, filled with papers and articles.

Beside her desk was a wall, covered by a huge pin board. She filled the pin board to the edges with large maps, newspaper cutouts, photographs, and information. Flipping open the laptop, she logged in, and googled the suicide case she watched on TV a moment ago.

Surfing through various articles, she printed a few and analysed them. She uncapped a red pen, and started jotting down notes on the sides and underlining important information.

After a while of studying, she moved over to the pin board, running her index finger through the map, and stopping at the area where the suicide case happened. Taking a blue pin, she poked through the map, down to the sponge of the board. She pinned the articles to one side as well, and then a blurry photograph of the dead girl.

Stepping back, she looked at the whole pin board, doing an overall analysis. As she would always observe after adding new information to the board, colour scattered and arranged the pins.

Beginning at a concentrated region of red pins in England. Then, further spreading out in a much more random pattern. She marked the areas according to the timeline by giving a different coloured pin for each year.

Beginning from red, all the way down the rainbow gradient, she could not believe she was now at blue.

5 years.

5 years, and she has been the only one, trying to connect the dots to these mysterious cases. They were linked, and she was sure of it. The police officers and forensic drop the case after a while, with no solid reasoning. No one steps up to justify either.

The reason to that is by far the only thing she has connected from these cases: the victims were unwanted orphans, disabled or even criminals. And they vary from ages three to about early twenties.

The problem was, though she wanted to get more insight into the victims' past, she could not find many people who had relations with them. Most of the victims were in orphanages, asylums, or just people who have lost contact with the outside world.

A bunch of loners.

Her heart ached at the thought.

Anna was not a loner. Gwendy refused to believe that her deceased sister was lonely. However, deep down she knew, she said that to cover up the guilt that weighed down her heart till today.

The sole reason she swore to find the culprit of the murders.

Losing her sister was terrible. She could have saved her if she had spent more time with her. Instead of leaving her all alone, knowing a little too late about the depression her sister was facing.

But she believed her sister did not commit suicide. Gwen's family thought she was crazy, too sad to think straight. Who would not believe that a girl with depression would kill herself? Gwendy wanted to believe it. But her eyes would not betray her.

Etched into her memories, as clear as crystal, was the image of her sister stepping onto the windowsill placing her hand into someone's and leaping off the building. Someone made her jump.

Gwendy was two seconds too late, to stop her.

Two seconds too late to have been a better sister, but it was not too late for the many other victims yet to come. She would justify that the case was a murder, not a suicide. And most of all, get the culprit behind bars.

"I would do anything to find you, murderer," she mumbled to herself, through clenched teeth, filled with renewed determination.