Chapter 25: Peter Pan Returns to Neverland

Gwen hesitated to leave the room when she heard the persistent engine noise die. Foreboding and fear froze her muscles. Instincts wanted her to turn the boat and flee, get Peter far away from the island. She glanced at him as he pulled on a spare shirt over his bandages. Blood ruined the rest of his clothes.

He noticed her gaze and met her eyes. "Let's go."

She still refused to move. Peter walked towards her and held her arms, peering into her face.

"Peter... Promise me you will not do anything reckless," she breathed out. He stiffened and looked away.

There was conflict in his eyes. He shook his head. "I can't put you through this anymore, Wendy. I promise you'll save Pauline."

"That's not what I asked you to promise..." She murmured. He was silent in response.

She knew he could not come about to make such a promise. Everything about his life screamed danger. By choosing to be with him, Gwen had voluntarily taken a risk. However, Peter refused to let her share the burden.

"Guys, we're heading out!" Belle's distant voice from the deck called them out.

Peter let her go and turned to the door. She grabbed his wrist to stop him. She was not planning to let it end like this.

With a determined flame in her eyes she said, "I hope you didn't forget, I promised to never leave you. And I don't break my promises."

He did not even turn to meet her gaze. She released his hand, and he left the room. The sting in her chest made her wince.

----------------

They had stepped foot on the sandy shore, and almost immediately Gwen felt something was watching her. Her back prickled with goosebumps. The day had sunk into evening and with twilight around the corner, the green of the island was gray and less welcoming.

Peter and Crocker walked ahead. Since Peter had changed into the spare turtleneck and camo pants in the boat which most definitely belonged to Crocker, they looked positively like brothers. Or perhaps soldiers?

Belle lingered beside her, she could sense the anxiety in her eyes. "Gwen..." She murmured.

"Yeah?"

She let out a strangled sigh before continuing, "I just wanted to warn you. Skul... Doesn't like to play fair." Her enigmatic words struck a chord.

They knew. All three of them knew. This would not be an easy trade. How could she have been so oblivious? This was why Peter was worried. What more would Skul ask for? And even if he did, how could they disobey? He held Pauline hostage.

Gwen clenched her fists, reminding herself once more. He was the reason. He turned Peter into a monster. He caused Anna's death. He hurt Pauline. He was also tactical.

How do you outsmart a mastermind?

Crocker parted thick green leaves, revealing a heavy iron latch. He scanned a fingerprint, and the metal ground open. A dank tunnel revealed itself and they squeezed in. The tunnels went on for a while; they twisted into odd bends, or flights of stairs would appear. They were so alike and confusing; it was easy to get lost. The moisture and mold seeped into the walls, leaving the tunnel warm and humid. Perhaps Peter got his idea of elaborate tunnel hideouts from Skul himself.

She was sweating profusely by the time they stopped, and her heart started hammering. Croc scanned his irises, and another door slid open. This time dim yellow light filtered through the opening.

It revealed a wide space ringed with three balconies, a hive deep underground. The ground floor held equipments she could not name, it was a biomedical laboratory. However, unlike any she had ever seen. Neverland scientists were really something else. The walls were bolted metal tiles, large liquid filled tubes rose all the way to the top, several bioreactors and test desks covered the rest of the cement ground. She could vaguely see the contents of the other floors.