Chapter 28: Lend A Hook

The parallels were vivid in his head. Shots fired, blood. Three months ago, he beat himself up for being so careless with his men. He should have learnt from his mistakes. Although the victim was not Gwen, the guilt felt all the same. How could Peter survive three bullets in his gut? He was not behind the trigger, yet he felt like a murderer. He never liked the guy, in fact despised him thoroughly. It was disgusting how Gwen was so infatuated with him. Nevertheless, it did not sit right to kill Peter.

James Hardwing was supposed to be a detective. He dropped his head in dismay.

I suck at my job.

The helicopters had arrived long after the boat disappeared into the horizon. They would have to keep tailing the boat. James had control over a team of French Special Ops only with his evidence of that the man in Gwen's team was carrying firearms. They labeled him a terrorist. James had other motives, but now he felt heavy with remorse. He never meant to kill Peter, just get him into custody.

But he had no means to convince the special ops to drop the mission. They were after the mercenary, not Peter.

He caught the island in sight. It was ghastly. Dark megalithic rock formations jutted out of the sea like a barrier, the greenery was thick. He knew the island was supposed to be off limits since the raid ten years ago. The island previously hosted the research facility called the Neverland Bioengineering Foundation.

What connection did Gwen and Peter have to that island? Some sort of lair?

The wind from the blades kicked up sand as they landed on the shore. As soon as James' shoes thudded onto the ground, a red laser pointer glowed on his chest. A sniper.

The ops readied their guns, searching for the source.

"One move and he's dead," said a familiar voice.

James lifted his hands to signal the ops to stand down.

"Let her speak."

Perhaps it was guilt that drove him to at least let Gwen say something. She was probably furious. The gun pointing at his chest proved so. When she stepped into view, it did not surprise him Peter was not with her. It was just her and Belle. The mercenary was hiding somewhere, ready to blast James as soon as he had the chance.

"Listen, Gwen... I'm... Sorry for what happened to Peter. I never meant for it to happen. It- "

"Shut up. You've caused me enough trouble. You should have listened to me at the very least. I was trying to save Pauline, and you were only getting in my way," Gwen said, crossing her arms.

"Finding Pauline is my job," James retorted. She was just a college student, of course he would not let her run off looking for a missing person.

"Was your job," she reiterated.

James raised a brow, but gasped as soon as the girl came into view. Pauline Gonzales, in the flesh, came to stand beside Gwen.

"It was Gregory Skul. He kidnapped her, and if you need any proof, I've got tons. The victim is standing right here, and the perpetrator is in there," Gwen pointed to the thick forest.

"But how? Gregory Skul is dead!" James exclaimed.

Gwen rolled her eyes. "Yeah, well, he isn't," then her eyes softened, "and neither is Peter."

James' eyes widened. Peter was alive?

"Peter traded himself for Pauline," she spoke through gritted teeth, but then took a deep breath.

She lifted her head and gave him a haughty grin, "You will help me, James. Help me put an end to Gregory Skul."

James was wary of her proposal. In fact, was it even a proposal? It sounded more like an order. Was there even a Gregory Skul hidden deep within the island's forest, or was she just pulling his leg? Did Peter's death cause Gwen to lose it?

Amidst his turmoil of thoughts, Gwen had walked straight towards him and they stood toe to toe. Her eyes were ablaze with determination. She was sure of her actions, and maybe a little desperate. Confident and stubborn. She never changed from when they first met.

It was perhaps the reason James agreed to help her in the first place.

"What's in it for me?" He asked, although he never really needed a reason to help her.

Gwen smirked, "Justice, and a closure to the case, old friend."

"You'll be arrested if there isn't a Gregory Skul hiding in there," he reminded.

"I'm aware. Do we have a deal?" She extended her hand.

There was never a reason to deny her, anyway. The special ops were going to raid whatever that was in there. He might as well do Gwen a favor. There was also a gun pointing at him, which was a skilled negotiator.

Just like the first time they met. He took her hand and shook it, shaking his head with a sigh.

"Deal."

"I guess we're back to being partners now, James." She said with a winning grin.

________________________________________________________________

A/N: I'm on an updating streak. 😂 Leave a vote and comment!