Chapter 11: Peter Pan I Have Proof

Those green eyes were haunting her. It was strange at how they only stood out to her alone. Such a minute detail that only she could see. Gwen showed Pauline the video, and she could not see a thing, besides the vague shadows of a figure.

It was not solid proof that she knew. However, it was her very first tangible evidence. She needed to get help from a professional, but it would be impossible. No one would believe her ridiculous tale.

Gwen stood before the Everdeen Foster Home once again. It was high noon this time, and morning sun did nothing to bring the foster home to life. It was as gloomy as ever. She intended to pay a visit to the young boy from last night. She needed information, and she was genuinely concerned. The entire situation must have terrified the child.

The house's condition perturbed her as she stepped into the yellow-bricked building. It was unkempt, households all over the place; she tripped a couple of times. Several rooms lined all three floors of the building. The house was cramped; it's ceiling a foot or two above her head. Stale air and countless unwanted scents caused her nose to scrunch.

The house mother was a grouch; it took plenty of convincing to get her to visit the boy. Gwen walked all the way to the third floor, feeling even more claustrophobic as she ascended. She knocked at the boy's door. It swung upon, and a little seven-year-old, peeked out.

"Hi, I'm Gwen," she said, mustering the friendliest smile. The boy eyed her with caution.

"I want to speak with you," she said, and revealed the small box of doughnuts she brought along with her. "I brought snacks."

The boy widened his eyes at the sight and shyly nodded. He opened the door and let her in. She entered his tiny room, it had nothing much, a thin mattress on the floor, a few pairs of clothes littered around and an occasional old toy here and there. Gwen opened the box of doughnuts and allowed the boy to eat before she talked. He first took the doughnut with hesitation, but soon he was gobbling it down. He was so thin. Gwen felt her heart her ache.

"I don't know if you remember, but I was here last night," she started.

The boy stopped eating and eyed her with wide-eyes. Gwen placed a gentle hand on his shoulder.

"If you don't mind, I would like to ask... What did you see last night?" she asked. The boy placed his doughnut back into the box and glanced out of the window. He shook his head.

"Who did you meet?" she rephrased. The boy shook his head again.

"You can tell me... I... Met him too," she said, trying to get him to talk. The boy hesitated but spoke, nevertheless.

"He was... Friendly, at first... He said, he would help me. I... Believed him." He was having a hard time putting his thoughts into words. Gwen waited.

"T-Then, I heard you shout. I... suddenly woke up." The young boy's eyes glistened with tears.

"He... became scary... All of a sudden... Then, he vanished," he said.

"He never helped. No one ever will... What was I thinking?" he said, as tears rolled down his cheek. Gwen's mind was whirling with information and possibilities, but the sight of the child crying before her pushed her thoughts away for a moment.

She hugged him, patting his back. Why was this murderer going around killing helpless children? They did nothing wrong.

--------------
After her visit, she sank in her thoughts as she drove back to her apartment. What should she do now? Staking out would only worsen her mental health. Deciding to push her luck, she turned the car and made her way to the town's police station.