THIRTY (RUBY POV)

"Damned, stupid human... Who does she think she is to talk to me like that?" I growl quietly while heading towards the fortress gate. I'm trained to remain clamed in all circumstances but Iselen manages to make my blood boil, that small and insignificant creature has the power to get on my nerves and I don't like it. "She should be kissing the ground I walk on and obeying my orders without complaining, I keep her alive after all although it's getting increasingly difficult because she messes things up all the time..."

I stop near the stone arch, taking a deep breath to regain my composure despite my fingers tingle inside my gauntlet because the only thing I want right now is to go back to the tent, take my whip and show that girl who's in charge here. A few lashes would turn her meek as a good kitty... but would ruin the skin of her back and I love to touch it when she twists of pleasure on top of me. An image of Iselen arching in my bed makes its way through my mind, tangling her fingers in my hair while her naughty tongue licks my neck and rubs her wet pussy against my pelvis... I close my eyes and shake my head... I don't want to give up on her yet, on the pleasure and heat she gives me that no other elven woman can give me in this kingdom.

"They're too cold and dangerous," I whisper staring at Sryne who moves closer talking to my father. She's a beautiful lady, no doubt, but I like her less and less: my former mentor is weaker than I've ever imagined. I think it's normal if a human gets jealous and makes mistakes carried away by her childish feelings, they're pathetic creatures, but the Head of the God of War's Brides can't let her heart cloud her judgement. I know she almost rejected Iselen's plan despite it was good only because she was the one proposing it, this is ridiculous... And letting that acolyte insult the Black Guard in such an offensive way was tactless, my father and his men aren't happy right now and the don't trust the women from the temple. This alliance could end up being a mess and we'd lose this battle only because Sryne believes that Iselen is a threat to her.

"The House of Uthorin's troops will be here in about an hour, you better go to that stream to hide." The Captain points behind him with his thumb and I nod keeping a straight face. "You have to lie on the ground and put these white blankets we've found covering your bodies to hide, it's snowing heavily and it'll help you to blend in even better when the snowflakes coat the wool, you only need to wait till hearing the horn and attack our enemies from behind. Easy and effective, as Iselen said."

"All right," I answer leaving the fortress not looking back and walking towards the ravine while fixing the helmet under my chin. The snow almost reaches my ankles and this is only the second storm this early winter, another one will arrive in a few days and it'll catch us going back home, I hope it won't block the roads before we reach Baalberith or we'd freeze to death in the middle of nowhere if we don't find a refuge soon.

"Your sweetheart is very smart..."

"She's not my sweetheart," I answer bitterly paying attention to the slope because I don't want to slip and fall.

"Really? You seem to be very fond of her." Sryne walks by my side calmly and checks that her knives slide out of their sheaths easily, her armour is way lighter than mine and barely covers her breasts, hips and legs, showing a lot of flawless pale skin. Elves say that the Brides of the God of War never feel cold because they've been bathing in their enemies' blood for centuries.

"I'm just following my Lady's orders..."

"Of course you do... You're fond of the Queen too despite your mother works for Helien, it's strange..."

"My mother would kill me if I happened to be an obstacle for her machinations to be successful," I answer holding one of the white blankets in my hand. "And my father, my brother and you too... The reason why I'm alive is because the Queen likes me and protects me and she has my loyalty in return." Sryne nods confirming that my words are true, that's the way things work in this kingdom after all.