EIGHT (ISELEN POV)

"Finally," I whisper in my mind while watching the crew getting the small fishing boat made of grey wood ready and fixing the white sail, it seems light and easy to handle even if we're only two, and looks similar to the one I built to escape from Baalberith so I don't think we'll have problems with it... we did something like this before. Teilan has insisted that we should take some food and water with us in case it takes a little time to find a safe beach to land and is debating with Ruby about the best way to hide some extra knives and weapons.

It's been one of the most boring weeks I've ever lived sailing across the infinite ocean on a fast ship with good amenities that's quite comfortable despite it's a corsair ship, manoeuvrability is crucial and having a big hold to keep the booty is the most important thing while a massive and fancy cabin for guests is unnecessary. The problem was that I spent almost the entire week locked up in that tiny cabin pretending to be shy and busy studying maps and drawing up plans, I got out on the deck sometimes to walk a little and breathe fresh air while the assassin was watching me but I didn't talk to anyone, I sat down pretending to be reading and listened to the crew talking about their lives and Ruby weighting different options to get closer to the island with Teilan.

I guess everybody in this ship thought we were tensed because we're heading to a suicide mission: only a few dark elves can boast about having visited the light elves' island after the Great War and only a handful were able to come back alive. According to the assassin, crucifixions is our enemies' favourite punishment when they catch one of our people wandering around their fortresses. "Although they're not skilful enough, they don't know how to prolong the suffering for long days and prisoners tend to die too soon in their hands..." That's what she told me but I wasn't reassured by that new information.

Actually, we were tense because Teilan has asked Ruby about her relationship with his sister again, above all those weeks before Khrise vanished. Unfortunately, there's not much to tell: the assassin slept with me and we only visited the blood pit occasionally to watch the fights and bet some money. The problem is that Eonir is here too, even if I don't understand why: supposedly, he found a job as an advisor to corsairs thanks to his knowledge of the seaside cities of the Empire where he used to live, but I don't understand what kind of useful information he could have about Lothern. Somehow, he believes he's a member of this ship crew and has joined the expedition making my girl very nervous.

Although, to be honest, the elf has behaved nicely and politely, sometimes it seems to me he tries to avoid Ruby, but is always wandering around and listening to other people's conversations. Despite he looks creepy, his long white hair and pale skin make him stand out, he manages to blend in somehow and the crew forgets he's there, leaning on a wall quietly. That's why they all get relaxed and talk about everything that crosses their minds, ignoring him. The assassin believes this is the way he gets information and sells is later to the highest bidder. This little rat is dangerous and I get all anxious every time I feel his eyes on my back, watching me. This is why I'll feel relieved the moment we leave this ship to jump on the small boat, moving away from him.

The blue ocean stretches as far as the eye can see and light shines brighter and warmer in front of us, showing the way to our enemies' island, although I hope they'll be our allies soon. We're hiding behind a group of small islands thanks to the low draft of the ship, corsairs need to be fast and getting close to the shore without running aground is crucial, so Teilan is taking advantage of that and will wait for us here, very close to our destination. I hope that light elves won't find him...

"They won't do it because they never come to this place," Eonir answers. I was thinking out loud unintentionally, apparently. "It brings back bad memories and they avoid it as much as they can." I can't help looking at the elf with curiosity but I remain silent biting my lower lip, Ruby's going to get angry if she sees me talking to him. "Those aren't natural islands... Didn't you notice?" I frown, confused, and lean over the railing to take a quick look.