FOUR (ISELEN POV)

"Oh my God, Ruby, this is amazing... How am I supposed to find anything here?" I mumble looking up reverently.

The vaulted ceiling above our heads is supported by stone arches carved with small figures of owls and crows, the birds that are symbols of wisdom. The walls of the lower floor are covered with cabinets closed by glazed doors that store maps, documents and books, dragon-shaped paperweights and small iridescent crystal balls full of witch fire that illuminates de room with soft green light. The walls on the top floor are covered with massive shelves full of books with colourful leather covers and golden letters, thousands of volumes in all sizes, in perfect order. Several wooden ladders allow access to the top shelves, there's not a speck of dust in sight and smells of parchment and ink, a familiar perfume that soothes my nerves.

"The Queen said that her librarian would be here waiting for us so he'll look for the books you need, I guess." The assassin walks next to me heading to one side of the room where there's more light despite there aren't windows here, I stare entranced at the big crystal ball on a bronze base that looks like an antique terrestrial globe, but it's filled with witch fire and lights up this area. Ruby's leather glove creaks when she puts her fingers around the pommel of a knife hanging from her waist while a tall guy with white hair and wearing dark clothes gets closer, waving his hand at two young boys to tell them to stay near the door quietly.

"My name's Nagash, I'm the guardian of the books and personal documents of the Queen of the Dark Elves," his soft voice hardly echoes against the walls of this massive room.

"Dread Lord," I bow my head respectfully, not quite sure about the etiquette in this situation, but it's always better to be polite and cautious. Ruby lets the knife go and remains next to me, still and quiet, but staring at this man with a mix of surprise and bewilderment even if Nagash ignores her and points at a table where several thick books are waiting. Suddenly, the elven guy moves closer to the globe of green light and I realize that his pupils are as white as his hair... The Queen's librarian is blind... But no one would notice it because he walks confidently through this room. I bet he knows where every book and map are stored and, if I dared to move one of those to another shelf, he'd know immediately. Anyway, he'd need help to find it again and this is why he has two assistants, I guess.

"My Lady told me that her advisor must read all the chronicles about the war when the Great King died and the ancient history of both elven races, preferably written in the common language although my assistants can translate other books if you need it. There're many volumes about this subject and most of them repeat the same stories so I've taken the liberty of picking out the ones that provide more information... Two of them are written in the ancient language we shared with our cousins but no one speaks that anymore although the assassin from the temple should know it..."

"Yes, I'll help Iselen, no problem." Ruby answers but keeps staring at the librarian like he's a ghost or something like that.

"If you need me, I'll be in my office." The tall and skinny elf points at the door where his assistants are waiting. "If you want to eat or drink something, you must do it there... We're not allowed to do it in the library because books can get stained. And the witch fire must remain inside the crystal balls always to avoid fires."

"Those seem reasonable rules to me," I nod smiling despite he can't see me and, however, the librarian smiles in response before turning around and leaving us alone. I take my notebook and pencil from my pocket and sit down, looking at the books confused, I don't know where to start. "Ruby... Are you all right?" The assassin nods but keeps staring at the door through which the assistants have vanished before blinking and getting closer to sit next to me, leaning forward to whisper in my ear.