THIRTY-SIX (ISELEN POV)

"This is not going to work..." I whisper flopping down on the bench under the cherry tree while watching Ruby chopping wood, sweat soaks her linen shirt that clings to her back and chest. Te axe goes up and down abruptly, cutting another little trunk cleanly, every movement of the assassin is elegant, fluid... and is full of rage.

We reached the cabin with no incidents five months ago and, luckily, she was right: Kevan's magic energy was still keeping the building in perfect condition. Avoiding his magical traps and protections wasn't easy even if I knew where most of them were located but Ruby is really cautious and didn't let me get close to the door or touch anything till she checked everything before personally, the trunk where the wizard kept his gold and jewels was protected by the most powerful spell but the assassin broke the lock in less than one hour while I was waiting, sitting in front of the fireplace.

It started snowing the next day but bad weather can't stop a dark elf used to work under the worst storms, we managed to walk to one of the closer villages where we bought lot of food and a donkey to carry everything back to the cabin although she made sure she was covering her pointy ears with her hood because she didn't want to tell the world we were there yet. Ruby was busy building a small stable and a hen house not caring if the wind was cold, the truth is that after living in Baalberith for 50 years I also thought the winter was mild and I could help her with the design, we kept the cabin clean, made food, we slept hugging each other every night, sex was wonderful as always...

But I felt her anxiety, we used to sit on the couch in front of the fireplace every evening after having dinner while the snow covered the roof and some wolves howled in the darkness, and I saw the assassin fidgeting. Inactivity was driving her crazy and, even if I was trying to keep her busy around the cabin, it wasn't enough for a woman like her used to exercise her body and mind with new challenges every day. In addition to that, Ruby was still angry at Sryne, Helien and her mother and she was plotting possible revenges in her head, thinking about how many allies she'd be able to buy with Kevan's gold and how we could sneak into her frozen kingdom again.

I could live happily in this cabin, growing veggies in the garden, taking care of the animals and making small craft items that I'd sell in the nearby markets. The cabin is enough for two people: it has a cast iron cooking stove and a big table to eat and work in front of a window, a couch and armchairs in front of the massive fireplace and a big bathroom connected to the stream so water is always available. Some stairs lead to the attic where there's a bed and under the staircase, a big closet is full of clothes and blankets. I could buy carpets or weave them myself, place some pots with flowers on the windowsills, design a cupboard to keep food and tableware...

But that's not enough for Ruby Rose, this isn't the right life for a dark elf and, when spring arrived, her anxiety skyrocketed along with her bad mood because the weather was too hot for her taste. She chops wood nonstop, more and more trunks, trying to burn energy... and she argues with me nonstop. She'll aim her resentment at me soon, the stupid human who took her here against her will despite I was trying to save her life. And she'll kill me... no one can live with a furious dark elf for a long time...

"Ruby, I'd like to talk to you... You could wash up and change your clothes while I set the table under the cherry tree, I'll explain my new plan while having lunch... please."

"Please? Since when you're so polite to me?" she asks dropping the axe on a big trunk carelessly while looking at me with a hint of hostility. I became more and more confident during the 50 years I lived in Baalberith, I got to know dark elves better and noticed when I was skating on thin ice most of the time, I was always cautious but felt at ease when I was with my bodyguard alone. After we escaped, I started talking to her as if we were equals to make clear that I wasn't at her service, I wasn't the human she should protect because the Queen ordered that anymore but her companion in this new life. Apparently, Ruby doesn't like this new Iselen and thinks that I behave like a shameless brat although deep inside I believe she enjoys our battle of wits when we argue.