THIRTY-SEVEN (ISELEN POV)

"I'm sorry we didn't find Katal but that guy is really elusive..." I whisper frustrated while we leave the city, it's snowing softly and there're only a few people walking down the road. "We've been following him from village to village and from tavern to tavern for almost three months and it seems that he's always left right before we arrive."

"It doesn't matter," Ruby smiles next to me and pushes her hood back to be able to feel the snowflakes falling on her face. "We're going to change the strategy: now we know where he lives in Lustria so we'll wait there next spring. Everybody told us he comes back to that house eventually and we'll be able to meet him sooner or later."

"We could get stuck in that city for weeks, getting bored while waiting for him to come back... are you sure?"

"Lustria is the capital of the Empire, a very big city and the port is lively, I'm sure we'll find something to do in the meantime."

"I'm surprised dark elves haven't attacked it yet..." The assassin chuckles while following me through the trees of a small forest, we're better protected from snow here under the branches of firs and walk easily down the deserted road.

"We've done it sometimes but the harbour defences are really good which means we need lot of corsair ships and maybe a black ark, even if the booty is good it wouldn't be enough to make up for the huge effort needed. We prefer to attack their cargo ships and get the luxury items or plunder smaller villages. Are you sure that coat is warm enough? I don't want you to get sick." Ruby's cold fingers graze my cheek when she makes sure my scarf is properly tied around my neck and I can't help smiling when she holds my hand and keeps walking, I can feel her heat through my glove... She does these things often now: she holds my hand, puts her arm over my shoulders, she sits down next to men and kisses my cheek absentmindedly while watching the clients of a tavern... She seems to feel more comfortable and relaxed around me than ever before and my heart races because my hope is high.

"I'm fine, don't worry, it's not as cold as it was in Baalberith although it's a bit early for the snow, don't you think?"

"Yeas, it seems that winter will come earlier this year but we'll reach the cabin in a few days and will be able to rest. We've made some progress these past months and it's time for us to relax and make plans in front of the fireplace after having dinner."

Ruby looks quite happy with that, in fact, she looks eager to go back home and I sigh relieved in my head while we keep walking. She's right, it's been a nice summer and really productive despite we were unable to find Katal, but the information we got from Eonir was good and the assassin burnt a lot of energy and frustration finally accepting some jobs but above all kicking the asses of bandits and stupid humans who tried to steal my bag, attacked me or were rude to me. She seems to especially enjoy the moment when they realize they've made a mistake seeing a furious dark elf appearing out of the blue but who's friends with the human they thought was helpless. Ruby's mischievous smirk reminds me of those days when she arrived to Ingstad as an ambassador and the members of the city council jumped scared every time the beautiful woman moved around them. I guess the assassin thinks it's funny when humans look terrified.

We also got to know another corsair that was left behind by his mates from the Slaver's Gate during his first incursion, the rite of passage into adulthood, he came back to the beach where they had docked but the ship had vanished. Anyway, he's too young and inexperienced to be part of our plans, working as a bodyguard for a wealthy merchant in Lustria, and my girl wants to wait a little for him to mature before checking if he's ready to fight against the temple acolytes. Even so, he's a good contact since he knows the city well and I bet he can help us to find Katal.

"We need to stop in one of the villages to buy food, do you think Eonir will be in the tavern or he's left already?" I ask jumping over a trunk while Ruby keeps holding my hand. "He told me he liked to live like a nomad most part of the year but usually travelled through the same area..."