TWENTY-SIX (RUBY POV)

"This is crazy, it won't work..." I think while checking for the last time that I carry all my weapons, that my chainmail is tight enough and the helmet protects my head. All my dark elven mates are doing the same around me with quiet efficiency, giant lizards fidget nervously, impatient because they can smell adrenaline and the oil that coats the leather straps holding the sword scabbards, they know we're going to go into battle soon but the guards try to calm them down. My father checks that Soul Eater's saddle is perfectly fastened before turning around to look at me.

"Are you sure you can control Spite in the middle of the battle chaos?" he asks worried. "When giant lizards run off, they don't differentiate between friends and enemies and they bite everybody."

"I can do it, dad, calm down," I answer appearing more confident than I really feel. I'm the best assassin from the temple but not the best lizard rider, to be honest, although I'll never admit I have a weakness in front of him.

"I know the human advisor has an ace up her sleeve, we've all seen her talking in whispers to the King and Queen, and I assume you know what's going on," the Captain stares at the chaos hordes standing on the other end of the plateau, it's like a wall of horrible monsters, demons and creatures I can't even describe, they growl and scream, making fun of us. They know we're outnumbered and it's only a matter of time that we're defeated by them. "Whatever she has in mind, I hope it works. I'm a dark elf, I'm used to pain, darkness and grief, I'll fight till my last breath... but I don't feel like dying today, to be honest. I still have lot of enemies to kill, machinations to plot and I also want to know if you can really kick my ass and get my position as Captain of the Black Guard."

"I understand perfectly, father," I smile winking at him. "You don't want to give Lehha the satisfaction of being a widow with all your money. The advisor's plan is crazy... but I trust her. It's brilliant, something no one expects... She's going to blow your minds, seriously."

The Captain nods and checks if his sword slides out of the scabbard smoothly again while I heave a sigh, relaxing a little. I've said the truth: I trust Iselen. She's the only one that can save our butts from the doomsday and I know she'll do it. I look back over my shoulder, at the mountains where our camp was set up, the fabric of our monarchs and the emperor's tents are colourful and stand out against the grey rock. Iselen is up there, surrounded by acolytes and priestesses, several elves that will blow the horns with her instructions and Urian's assistants who have a handful of trained crows in case she needs to send a message. Some archers will keep the winged demons away if they try to attack her.

I know she'll be protected despite there's hardly any soldier left in the camp: doctors, wounded warriors, young squires, the cooks of the army... All the warriors are here, right next to me, forming into lines on the plateau: the Emperor's humans wearing shiny armours in the middle of the first line, riding their war horses, elves are located both sides and the banners of Baalberith, Lothern, Avelorn and Athel are fluttering under the light of the rising sun, dwarves are wating behind holding their sharp axes. Sryne and the brides of the God of War will fight next to the Black Guard, forgetting about their feud today, Helien, Katal and my mother are surrounded by priestesses ready to cast spells although they're good at handling knives too... Even corsairs are here despite they prefer to fight on the deck of their ships.

It's been a while since the last time the army of Baalberith gathered to go to war, all the dark elves together under the command of the Witch King, so many extraordinary warriors around me make me feel better even if I still have doubts concerning Iselen's plan. I can't help it, I still think it's crazy, there're many things that could go wrong: what if not all that dynamite goes off? What if the cave ceiling doesn't collapse? What if the fuses fail or dwarves can't light them all at the same time? What if we can't reach the mountains in time and we all fall into the hole too? I look at the ground under my boots, fidgeting awkwardly because I know what's under my feet, hundreds of sticks ready to explode.